my duck had an egg!!

silly silkies

In the Brooder
Dec 3, 2016
I am so happy to say my duck has laid an egg!! Unfortuently it was broken
hmm.png
. But i was wondering if you should give them oyster shells so the shell is harder. again I was so happy i cried my duck is my baby LOL
tongue.png
I also have 2 silkie roosters could they have broken the eggs? my drake seems harmless so i dont think it was him. but it was my ducks first egg and the cold could have done it since its like -20 but yeah. HELP!!!!!!!!
barnie.gif

Was the shell thin?
Freezing will definitely crack the egg as the ingredients expand.
What has the hen been eating?
It never hurts to provide oyster shell in a separate container.

G’Day from down under silly silkies
frow.gif
Welcome!

I hope you enjoy BYC. There are lots of friendly and very helpful folks here so not only is it overflowing with useful information it is also a great place to make friends and have some fun. Unlike non chicken loving friends, family and colleagues, BYC’ers never tire of stories or pictures that feature our feathered and non feathered friends
wink.png

welcome-byc.gif
If that is her first egg she may have been confused about it, and pecked/broken it herself . I agree you should post on the "duck thread," just put that in the search box and it will come up. I don't know what duck hen's requirement for calcium is. Maybe there is a special feed for laying ducks.

Temps may very well have cracked the egg, but thin shells or off eggs are common in a new layer... do you feed a layer feed? That gives them what they need for the most part... an all flock or flock raiser is fine, but oyster shell should always be offered on the side if that is the feed you use...

Personally, I always keep oyster shell out for my ducks, if they need extra then they help themselves and regulate their needs quite well... :)

welcome-byc.gif

Congrats on the first egg, hopefully the next will go better.

Back
Top Bottom