my duck hen has developed a toad addiction!

Chickenaddict

Songster
11 Years
May 19, 2008
East Bethel MN
Is this something I should worry about? She is absolutely NUTS for toads lately.... They must taste horrible. For a few weeks now she has been getting one a day at least. She drags it to the water bowl where the massacre begins. I am starting to wonder if she isn't getting some sort of euphoric feeling from them. I think I'll change her name from betty to toad licker. Seriously tho is this a bad thing or is it ok? If not ok how the heck do I go about keeping her from them when she free ranges?

Toads are toxic. They secrete a substance called Bufotoxin which is their means of defense. Perhaps ducks are not affected by this? I know certain types of snakes are immune to the effects of the toxin. Still, I would hesitate to let her keep eating them. I had a dog that tried to eat a toad once (a normal toad, not one of those nasty cane toads down South) and the dog started foaming at the mouth from the toxin. Poor dog never even glanced at a toad after that. It didn't kill the dog, but she was sick the rest of that day and foamed at the mouth for an hour after.

All of my dogs have tried toad, and pucked nicely afterward. They never touched one again. Live and learn. I guess the ducks know why it likes the water bowl while slaughtering. Perhaps the rinse takes the nasty stuff off. My ducks have tree frog insanity.
Katharina

Ugghhh that doesn't sound good
sad.png
She is one quick duck, I'd have to wrestle her to get the toad from her. I am thinking I would have seen some ill effects by now right? Toads are everywhere around here and unless I stood over her 24/7 to make sure she didn't eat one there is no way of telling or keeping her from the great outdoors.

Not all toads carry the Bufo toxin. I doubt she would be able to pick it up and carry it to the water bowl if it was a toxin bearer. You would have known if she by now if she had gotten a toxic toad.

On a separate note may I just say this

eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yuck!

lol.png

Last edited:
my dogs and cats have all tried toads. I've got 1 insane dog who LIKES to lick toads who secreate the toxin too! I am thinking its some kind of high cause the dog gets REAL stupidly funny afterwards, rolls around, drags across the ground, plays with her dead toad carcass, and just lays out with her tongue lolled and foaming at the mouth looking rabid.

My cats have learned the hardway the fun toads are to not be bitten, had my psycho cat come in the house licking her chops like crazy, dripping saliva and foaming at the mouth and finally realized it was a toad she was chasing in the yard not a mouse or mole!!! too funny to watch this cat hack around the house, lookin more deranged than usual and that PO'ed expression.

I'm figuring the same thing - if it is toxic the duck isn't affected by it. Obviously she hasn't gotten sick or died so I wouldn't worry about it.

Last edited:
Quote:
Glad to hear I'm not the only one with a duck so addicted to slimy treats that it actually worries her human. LOL We don't have toads or frogs where we are but Slugs beware! The slugs are even so big she has to fight to swallow them, and even had some gross slime or something foaming from her mouth once.
sickbyc.gif
Guessing your hen is the same way with the toads. I just have to tell myself to be happy they have cheap (free) treats that make them that happy. lol

Last edited:
Oh yeah she is nuts about em to the point where IF I try to grab it from her she poofs out like a broody and bites me. Her mate has no interest in the toads. She also LOVES big crunchy june bugs and eats em like potato chips... Strange quacker she is lol. I hope she doesn't try eating any snapping turtles crossing the yard...

Back
Top Bottom