My duck is driving me crazy -- what do I do??

I have joined a couple duck rescue groups and they say to control a male duck.. (darn horn balls) they need 4 to 6 females to control themselves... I know it is a lot.. but they have a rediculous sex drive.. LOL...

Now, i have about 4 females per male and mine have calmed down a bit...

Him "stopping the madness" isnt likely unless he gets more tail..
smile.png

Good Luck:)

PS - I have a male duck that likes to jump on humans more then the females duck... he has gotten booted a couple times.. he still comes back.. They arent easy to discourage!!
sad.png

I love Frodo - its hard to believe how much I really care for the guy since I have had him since he was a day old, but I cant have him doing the dirty duck deed on my poor little chicks. Me and my hubby are going to do our best to make a duck yard for my two drakes and one duck hen, I really dont want to get alot of ducks. Will giving them their own yard away from the pullets help? the ducks have always been in the bigger yard with the chickens I dont want them to get stressed because they have to move in to thier own yard.
If nothing we do helps I will have no choice to rehome him which will break my heart and the other ducks have never been away from him

I had exactly the same problem, I felt guilty building another run which was smaller than the big backyard, but they actually loved their own space and were really happy that the chickens couldnt get in.
I would really recommend building it!!

A private duck yard will save your pullet, but it will create trouble for your lone female duck. Two against one ain't no fun.
hmm.png

If you can't rehome one of the drakes (and even if you can) I'd say you need to get at least four more females. They'll be much less bothered and you'll have lots of eggs and entertainment.
big_smile.png

well after this morning I have decided to rehome Frodo - I let my chickens out into thier play yard for the day and the frist thing Frodo did was hunt down that poor pullet and grab the back of her head and would not let go I plan on building a duck yard but I cant do that until after we do the chicken coop for winter and by then that poor pullet will be dead. So later this morning I am calling the local zoo that has a large duck pond and see if they could take him if not he we end up in the park that has a large pond and plenty of other ducks ( zoo takes care of them also ) and in the winter the zoo goes and rounds them all up and moves them till it gets warm again. I hate to give him up but he is just to much duck for my poor pullets.
here is a pic of him and my other two ducks Frodo is the mallard mix Afflac is my hubby's Pekin and Ebony is our female Cuyaga (sp?)

newfamilymemeber.jpg

I had the same problem with my runner drake...but I just put up a short fenc (1') since he can't fly...it worked to have him in his own yard. Then I got him another female too.

I've since let down the fence, and he chased off the chickens when they got close to the female ducks...so he kind of learned to be a duck (sort of). It's like he didn't know the difference until it was forced on him for a while. I did notice that when he chased the chickens, they quickly figured out if they got up onto something he coudn't do anything-- so depending on how high frodo can jump/fly, you may be able to give the chickens safe havens by having a couple of saw horses out there or a leaning ladder or something else.

Coons took both the females recently...and my drake now trying to be a chicken, but hasn't tried to mount any of them. I figure it's a matter of time....I"m looking for grown females as I type!

ALSO- have you thought about asking the zoo if they have a few extra females? Tell them the situation and they may be willing to trade....

Sandra

well we tried to part with frodo but just could not bear it, so he is still here causing trouble !! this weekend I think we are going to put up a " ducks only " yard and start to look for a few more females i did not want to get alot of ducks I manly wanted to raise chickens but when we got our frist pullets at easter time saw the ducklings and had to have two, both turned out to be the boys and the black duck was a trade I made a black dutch rooster for a black cuyaga female duck (sp wrong i am sure ).
I have not thought about asking the zoo if they have more females than needed - might give them a call this weekend thanks for the idea.

If my drakes get out of hand they get ducks only houses/yards. I gave up chasing them when they wanted a young hen for a lady.

My one drakes name is NO NO!

Back
Top Bottom