My duck is "flattening" her back--what does it mean??

ash661

Hatching
7 Years
Jun 30, 2012
My duck is about three months old and for the past few weeks, has been flattening her back and stretching out her neck. She only does it a couple times a week, but its been getting for frequent. It doesnt seem like shes hurt or is in any pain (and besides some breathing issues that we've taken care of, shes healthy).
This is the first duck I've owned and although Im not worried about her safety, I'd like to know whatsup. When she does this, she allows strangers to pet her, which is strange.

I had a goose that would do the same thing every time I pet her. Luckily she has a gander so that behavior stopped
gig.gif

Ah ha! My WH duck has been doing this for a couple days now in the pond and I suspected it was something like that. Now I know why. Does this mean she will start laying?

Mine usually start doing that around 5 months and start laying right at the 6 months mark.

My 7 month old duck is also doing the same for the past couple of weeks. She will make her wings and her back flatten, stretch her neck and make a distinct sound and sometimes come near my feet and slowly sit by sightly raising her rear end. I thought the same and it is confirmed. When will she start laying?

My female Khaki Campbell does this. SHe started doing it when only a few weeks old and she's now almost 4 months and still does it. I noticed a white milky substance comes out of her cloaca. Now I know whats going on!

Back
Top Bottom