My Duck Is Very Sick????

xfilesnumber1fan

Songster
11 Years
Nov 24, 2008
Missouri
How long can an adult female duck go with out food and water? She is very sick and the vet has no idea what has caused this or how to fix it..She had a fever of 109 how long is unknown it is down now,but she just lays flat in the cage,she hasnt drank anything for 24 hours I try giving it to her but she seems as if she doesnt know how to drink she trys to stand and falls its hard for her to hold her head up..I put her in the tub because that is what the vet said to do..Only a tiny bit of water and had to hold her head up she acts as if she has forgot or cant do anything,I know a high fever can cause liver,kindey failure and brain damage..I am at such a loss when a vet tells me he doesnt know whats wrong with her..They did blood work I should hear back today..I just dont know what to do!!!
Heres my baby girl...
19025_004.jpg

Quote:
I dont beleive she could have..She isnt free range and the other 8 are fine..The vet said she has no idea what has happen and the blood work only showed she has an infection but she isnt getting better..Still hasnt eat anything in 2 days and I have only be able to force a small amount of water down her..I am at a lose..Whant do you do when nothing works or helps?

Just an infection huh? I have read that crested breeds have more problems than non crested. My "Sunshine" is a white crested (double crested) and when she was about 6 months old, she seemed to have a seizure for no apparent reason. She came out of it ok but for about 2 days she seemed "confused ", didn't eat or drink etc. She has never had another one and she is 1 1/2 years old now. I thought maybe poisoning, but they are in an enclosed pen. Then I read somewhere that if they eat a mouse that has eaten poison, it can cause some problems. Its all a guessing game. Just put vitamins in the water you are giving her and I hope she comes out of it. Keep us updated..
hugs.gif

Quote:
The vet wants me to bring her back in this morning for IV fluids since it has been 48 hours since her last IV fluids..I know the fluid is good but how long can she go without food she shows no sign of getting better..It sure sucks when you dont know if what your doing is best for her....Her eye with the crested hanging on that side is now infected and closed I dont know why since she is on antibiotics..It has got worse its always bothered her the crested is big and hangs in her eye I trim it and it seems to grow faster...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom