My Duck Plan

doubleatraining

Songster
12 Years
Jul 25, 2011
Franklinton, NC
The Duck Plan:
A wonderful friend is rennovating their house and has a MASSIVE wood pile outside. I've been invited to get whatever I want. WOOO HOOO

So I plan on building a small duck shelter with the excess wood and some extra wire at the house. I want to build them essentially an "overnight" shelter to lock them in away from the night time predators. For the day time I'm going to put up a fence in the woods that will have a pool for them and plenty of area to be ducks. LOL

The plan right now is to start with 3 of my friend's 300 ducks.

How big does the coop need to be for 3-5 ducks? Does the plan sound reasonable?

Lucky you! That's wonderful. I'd say for an overnight shelter for up to 5 ducks you should be aiming for about 25 sq feet, or 5 sq feet per duck. Make sure they have good ventilation too.

Can't wait to see pics! I'm sure you'll love having the ducks.

The Duck Plan:
A wonderful friend is rennovating their house and has a MASSIVE wood pile outside. I've been invited to get whatever I want. WOOO HOOO

So I plan on building a small duck shelter with the excess wood and some extra wire at the house. I want to build them essentially an "overnight" shelter to lock them in away from the night time predators. For the day time I'm going to put up a fence in the woods that will have a pool for them and plenty of area to be ducks. LOL

The plan right now is to start with 3 of my friend's 300 ducks.

How big does the coop need to be for 3-5 ducks? Does the plan sound reasonable?
BHep has 300 ducks?
lau.gif
Sounds like a great plan dt, like cocoa says be sure to post pics when you get your coop done and also when you get your ducks..

It sounds outstanding. Make the house about the right size for about 20 ducks. They will reproduce quick.

Its best to make duck housing a little on the large side anyway as they are experts at making a mess of things. If they will be getting out every day I would feed them outside the house and give them most of their water in the daytime pen and only give them access to a small amount of water at night. The less water in the house the cleaner the duck house in my experience.
Good luck.

poultrypalacewhidbey, I like ducks but they aren't my focus. I'll have to see what kind of boards I get to see how big I can go. I was planning on putting their tub outside in the run and just a little bit of drinking water inside the coop so they can't get but so messy. I'll bed it with straw. I plan on making a 3 sided structure with a roof for their coop.

Do they need nesting boxes?

Back
Top Bottom