My duck sounds congested when she breaths

Bird freak TA

In the Brooder
Jul 6, 2021
Hi all this is my first time posting and I just have some questions.

My 8 month old duck Puddles sounds pretty congested and I’m wondering what it is. Her nostrils are full of some type of mucus and she is breathing kind of odd so I brought her and my other duck in the house and waited for them to heat up and then I put them in the bathtub to see if she could blow something out and when she came out she sounded better but not 100%. It’s currently -27 and I am assuming it has something to do with that and I’m hoping someone on here will have an answer for me.

Does Puddles regularly have access to liquid water? I know it's tough with those temps, but respiratory issues seem to arise when ducks can't blow their nares out often enough.
Yup she has a heated water bowl… shortly after she was in the tub she sounded normal again and her nostrils were clear which was pretty interesting.

Yup she has a heated water bowl… shortly after she was in the tub she sounded normal again and her nostrils were clear which was pretty interesting.
Everything was probably frozen in her nares from the water air drying in such cold temperatures. It's been not quite as cold yet here this year, but down to -8 with -30 wind chills and my nose freezes up just doing barn chores when it's subzero.

Back
Top Bottom