My Duck Suddenly Stopped Liking Me.

Aaron45765

In the Brooder
8 Years
Oct 20, 2011
Thousand Oaks, California
I have 2 ducks, one is a crested Rouen and we got her at the feed store when she was ~1.5 weeks old and she was really shy at first, but then she got to the point where she would eat out of my hand. But now she avoids me like I have the bubonic plague. Is it due to the fact that since school started I can't get enough attention to them?

-Aaron

Many ducks go through a stage where anyone taller than they are looks like an axe murderer.

Patience, treats, and as much time as you can manage near them, making gentle noises seems to be the best approach. The phase usually passes, but it can take weeks.

Also, if you can approach them from a lower position that may help.

I have 2 ducks, one is a crested Rouen and we got her at the feed store when she was ~1.5 weeks old and she was really shy at first, but then she got to the point where she would eat out of my hand. But now she avoids me like I have the bubonic plague. Is it due to the fact that since school started I can't get enough attention to them?
-Aaron
I actually believe that my female duck is a crested mallard, could this be a reason that she doesn't like me? I know that some mallards are very skittish.

-Aaron

Hi I have a year old mallard and two pekins. At about 6 months they stopped following me as much and became more independent. I also was away for a month and when I came back they acted like they were afraid of me. Give them treats such as crickets or peas and make sure to spend time with them and they should start to warm up to you again. As far as mallards go mine is super friendly unless its mating season.

Back
Top Bottom