My duck with seperation anxiety and feather eating.... Uuuh?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Helanaii, Jun 19, 2019.

1. Helanaii

Helanaii Chirping

Aug 28, 2013
    .... right so. Peanut. Her entire existence has been a struggle. Especially right at this exact second.

She's my first duck and I have raised her with chickens-- and they were all confined to the garage due to the weather sucking for young birds to be out.

But as she got older she discovered the wonders of eating feathers.

I seperated her, moved the chickens outside- And tried slowly introducing and monitoring them.

And then a weasel came and ate. All but one chicken.

:) Thanks weasel. You suck.

So both chicken and duck were seperated through cages but roamed together. They got along fine until Peanut wanted to snack on my Saphire gem lady. So the coop has been weasel proofed, the hen is going up there overnight and my duck was freaking out so much that she is now in a box next to my bed for the night.

She's a very crabby lady, so I don't know what to do with her. I have 2 more chicks give another week will be able to join my hen, but I don't want a lonely duck. She is definitely a bully but also a baby. I noticed that she's shivering like CRAZY in spurts and will not sleep without my hand in that box with her. She calms down if I pet her.

Now how on God's green earth do I fix this duck.

2. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

I have a little Call Hen that was self plucking. Once I removed two Ducks and introduced her to other Ducks she stopped the behaviour. Possibly your Duck needs more Ducks..

Helanaii and ShannonR like this.
  3. ShannonR

ShannonR Songster

Sep 17, 2015
    I agree, she needs to be with her own kind. Your duck sounds like a nervous wreck

chickens really likes this.
  4. Helanaii

Helanaii Chirping

Aug 28, 2013
    Yeah- I'm thinking of rehoming her to a family on a farm that has a large population of duckies.

OH she's not self plucking. She's plucking the others.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: