1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My duck won't eat :(

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by JnPbl, Apr 1, 2013.

1. JnPbl

JnPbl New Egg

Apr 1, 2013
    Hi guys!

I have a beautiful female duck, she's almost 2 years old and she lives in my house with me, she has her own room and a nice domestic life.
    For some reason she's not eating today, wherever she eats won't be there for more than 30 minutes and she vomits...
    She's drinking water every 5 minutes and I'm trying to give her food but she doesn't want to eat anymore...
    She can walk fine, and she takes her vitamins every morning but right now is very quiet and sleepy... She's laying eggs since last week as usual so I think she must be hungry but she won't eat... I don't know what to do, suggestions? The problem started around 4 hours ago so I know she has nothing in her stomach and she must be hungry

2. JnPbl

JnPbl New Egg

Apr 1, 2013
    By the way, the weather is kind of hot right now so I don't know if that could affect her... I already put her on her pond for a few minutes but she looks weak

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    [​IMG] Does she vomit up the water? Could you put her in a cooler/shaded place and see if that makes a difference? Please post her symptoms on the emergencies/diseases,injuries forum- someone may be able to give you more assistance than I can?

1 person likes this.
  4. Foreign Object?

if she has swallowed a foreign object, it could be upsetting her stomach and needs to be removed. Squeeze her crop SOFTLY so that if it is sharp it won't pierce the crop, but you can feel it!

1 person likes this.
  5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Howdy from Kansas and [​IMG]! Pleased to have you here! Sorry to hear about your sick duck - hope he gets better soon!

1 person likes this.
  6. JnPbl

JnPbl New Egg

Apr 1, 2013
    Hi again!

I just wanted to let you know that my duck is fine. I called her primary vet and he said that we had to interrupt water or any liquid for a few hours, we gave her some bread and it was funny because she was super upset staring at her water (obviously out of her reach) but she wasn't weak anymore, we gave her water before bed time and now she's ok :D

Thank you for your responses, is good to know that there's a place like this with people willing to help others!

7. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Welcome to BYC!!! [​IMG] Glad you joined us!! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. jillber1234

jillber1234 New Egg

Nov 28, 2014
    My duck won't eat either but she still drinks so we are going to try and make her a smoothie out of vegetables to fill her for right now then we will try and find out what's keeping her from eating

10. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

So sorry about your duck. You need to post this in our emergency section and or our duck section for more help with her...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/42/ducks

https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I hope someone can help you get her healed up soon. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by