My duckling can't walk!

MotherDucker82

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2021
I have a five/six week old pekin/white layer who has weird legs. We just noticed it a few days ago. She almost looks normal when you look at her when she is all dry and feathered out, so here are some pictures of her while wet.
She is huge, it seems like her feet and legs are growing quicker than the rest of her. She lives with 3 other Pekin ducklings that are fine, lived under the same conditions, and eat the same food.
The other three constantly eat all the food before she gets a chance, and walk on top of her like she's a rug. She can barely stand, and can't get very far before falling over. I don't know what to do, or if it is my fault. Can someone help please? There is also some black crust under her right wing. I think it's because her pin feathers are rubbing on her skin too much because her legs made her wing go in between her legs and body. received_1203178016858481.jpeg

Attachments

• received_934348630484585.jpeg
    received_934348630484585.jpeg
    49.1 KB · Views: 19
  • received_1472358409788800.jpeg
    received_1472358409788800.jpeg
    46.8 KB · Views: 19
Are you feeding a waterfowl-specific feed? If not, are you providing supplemental niacin to all your young ducks?

If she's having trouble walking, it could be due to niacin deficiency. This is an informative thread that should help.

Hope she's doing better soon.

They get niacin with every meal and in their water. Her hips are spread apart. They look broken, but they aren't. It is hard to tell. She can't stand tall like the other ducks. Today she can't stand at all, and won't drink water.

How much niacin are they getting and how do you administer it? She may need more, and at a dosage for an acute deficiency. If the others are eating the food before she can get to it and the niacin is in/on the food, she may not be getting enough.

We just pour a bunch into the food and mix it up a lot. We could try and give it to her through a dropper, she won't eat very much today.

What form is the niacin you are giving? A niacin capsule, brewer's yeast, nutritional yeast, powdered niacin complex, a liquid livestock b complex? Hips/legs being wide set apart and not being able to walk is usually a sign of a very severe niacin deficiency.
c1.jpg

Are you giving vitamin B complex? That is the rescue med if she needs strengthing of her legs. If her legs are wider apart and she has difficulty standing up and walking, she might have splay leg. This can be fixed if dealt with early on by making sure she's getting proper nutrition, getting her the vitamin B complex and using vet wrap to gently hold her legs in the proper position. Also, put her in a protective environment with maybe just one other duckling so she's not getting trampled and can have time to heal. Let her swim in the bathtub a couple times a day to strengthen her legs.

What feed is she on? I'd separate, add the niacin to her food, offer as a mash. You stated she wasn't eating (not able to due to the others eating it all). So she's not able to get the proper dosage of niacin or nutrition. The super b complex offers niacin as well as other b vitamins that will give the duckling a boost. I would definitely go get some tsc or your local farm supply should have it on hand.
Also, if she's gotten to the point she isn't eating at all, you're going to need to tube feed to get her back in shape. @Quatie is familiar with tube feeding - maybe they can offer advice, but I know there is info here on BYC regarding it.
Do you leave food out all the time? At this age, I would especially if the ducklings seem so hungry they eat it all up before the smaller one can get to it.

Last edited:
Since your duck is not eating, I would recommend tube feeding. Tube feeding helps them get through difficult times. If you haven't, I would seperate out the duck.

Here is a link on how to tube feed:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/tube-feeding-ducks-updated-5-7-2020.1211994/

The catheter can be hard to find, but you can use aquarium tubing if needed. You will want to melt the tip so there are not sharp edges. I would look online as to what supplies are in stock in your area. Upsides, you can add all the vitamins mixed in with the tube feeding. I would add some herbs high in vitamin E too, just in case. Basil is a good example.

It can be nerve wracking the first time, but it gets easier.

Back
Top Bottom