My duckling fell to its death and died in my arms....

LilDucky85

Songster
10 Years
Feb 8, 2009
Northern, Illinois
Today was a sad day. One of my ducks, the tiniest of the 8 "Baby" died in my hands. They outgrew their original tupper-wear storage bin so I moved them into a large dog cage. The bars are only a half inch apart, and cant fit through them. I monitored them to make sure they couldn’t fit through the bars and they hadn’t in 2 days. Just to be safe I even blocked off the first foot down on the bottom around the cage. My 2 year old left my bedroom door open, and instead of shutting it like I normally do I left it open. Well I was on the phone in the Family Room and they all start chirping really loud. They only do this if one gets separated, or if I’m more than 4 feet away from them when outside (they follow me around like the ducky mama). Well I say what are they doing? and look toward the foyer to see a fluff ball fall straight from the upstairs foyer balcony onto the hardwood floor. I said omg and dropped the phone. I ran to the foyer it but didn’t want to look. I did, and it was trying to get up. It was on its back and when I picked it up it couldn’t hold its head up. It either broke its back, or neck. So I ran upstairs to make sure no one else got out, no one did. Its poor little body was shaking and its heart was racing. I didn’t know what to do. I held it and it slowly stopped shaking and then I felt its heart slowly stop beating. I just stood there in shock. I’m still actually in shock. I called my mom and told her what happened since I literally threw the phone as I was talking to her. She asked which one it was but I couldn’t tell if it was Baby or not. I brought it back upstairs to compare it to the others, and it was Baby. I held it for at least 10 minutes after it died, and said I was sorry. I couldn’t, and can’t even cry because I’m just in shock. Just minutes before I was holding it alive and well, then this. It all happened so quickly and so unexpectedly. It’s so sad.

Baby was such a sweetie, and it was so tiny! It would have been one of the ducklings I would have definitely kept if I have to give some up. It was one of my favorites and I could always tell it apart from the rest. Its so sad looking at them now knowing that Baby is really gone, and that there should be 8. I was actually thinking about changing its name today before it died. I’m not going to though, its what I called it from day one. I was thinking about naming it "Ducky" which is my favorite character from my favorite kids movie, "a Land before time". I had picked this name before they hatched and didn’t know who would get it. Now a different one will be named this in honor of Baby.

Here is Baby less than 24 hours old:

4-16-0985.jpg

4-14-0952.jpg

Last edited:
I am sitting here balling.
hit.gif
I know you are just heart broken. how tragic, just remember how much you loved this "Baby".

Hugs~
hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Baby was so attached to you, that he just wanted to be with you all the time. Remember how happy he was to be with you, rather than his death.

Rainbow Bridge.
sad.png

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author Unknown.

Don't worry, there's a huge pond and all the bugs and weeds they could ever want up there.
smile.png

Iam not moved by the death of fowl very much really... but thats an incredibly awful story! Ducklings are so so cute, and he only just wanted to follow you where ever you were gonig like a good little duckling would!

Oh so sad!!!

Feel better! Iam sorry!

Back
Top Bottom