MY DUCKLING IS HAVING SEIZURES

PekinDucks

Hatching
Mar 19, 2021
I got a pair of ducklings roughly about 4-5 weeks ago and they’re starting to change from yellow to white feathers so I believe they’re Pekin ducks. One of them today started exhibiting seizures and im honestly so worried! Its only happening to one of them and a neighbor told me today (as i was working) that there seemed to be a group of pigeons near them eating from their food and possibly drinking their water. Please help 🥺😓😔 I make sure to always supple them with fresh water and scratch grains from tractor supply. I also feed them raw tomatoes and veggies. Just today when it started happening a neighbor told me(while i was working) that their was a flock of pigeons near their food and water while they swam in their pool. I tend to bring them in at night as we’re currently finishing building their duck house. Please help!! Could one of them have gotten sick from an infection? I didn’t know pigeons were also referred to flying rats until today and im really worried and hope the duckling doesnt pass away as they have grown on me the past couple of weeks. 😢 The picture provided was from 5 weeks ago.

Attachments

• 57DE16AC-8FD9-4702-842F-94AC1B60A970.png
    57DE16AC-8FD9-4702-842F-94AC1B60A970.png
    949.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 60E09AFB-DBF0-405A-9565-346C6DB6F842.jpeg
    60E09AFB-DBF0-405A-9565-346C6DB6F842.jpeg
    411.2 KB · Views: 5
What feed do you feed them? Scratch grains isn't food, it's treats, low in vitamins/minerals and high in carbs, like potato chips for us, plus ducks need niacin, which is found in duck food. Pigeons wouldn't cause this.

Do you have a video of the one doing a seizure?
Has their appetite changed at all?
Have you noticed any changes in their droppings?

Seizures can have a wide range of etiologies, and oftentimes with diagnostic testing done by a veterinarian determining the underlying cause can be diffuclt. However, in your case, the birds are being fed a diet low in several vitamins and minerals that could have predisposed them to develop these seizures.

A lack of thiamine, B6, or vitamin E can create neurological-related problems; as a start, you may try switching to a feed formulated for ducks, and start the birds on a broad range of poultry vitamins, and observe if the symptoms continue.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/rooster-booster-poultry-cell-16-oz

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/purina-duck-feed-pellets-40-lb-3004428-205

Back
Top Bottom