My duckling was stuck in a milkjug.

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Sparrow, Jul 17, 2008.

1. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I went to check my last brooder of ducklings(only 3 of them) this morning, and I noticed my F&W Runner, Jazzy, was missing. She has jumped out twice before...she's a wild thing!.....but she never went anywhere after she did. She just stood there looking scared. lol I thought I was going to have to search the bathroom for her when I hea rd loud peeping. I went closer to the brooder to see what was going on, when I saw their milkjug waterer tipped over on it's side...and Jazzy's booty sticking out of it!! :eek: As soon as I saw her, she started peeping and tumbling the jug around trying to get out, but there was no way she could get herself turned around. It was a gallon milkjug that I had cut a horizontal slit in just big enough that they could get their heads in to reach the water in it. I have NO idea how she got herself in there, she is big enough that she is beginning to feather!! I had to get a pair of scissors and cut the whole top off of the jug to get her out. As soon as she was free, she took a few laps around the room before I put her back in with her buddies. [​IMG] She is perfectly fine now, just soaking wet.

I just thought it was the wierdest...and funniest, poor thing...duckling experience yet. Too bad I couldn't take thetime to take a picture, it was hysterical looking! I'm so glad she isn't hurt. [​IMG]

2. Dodgegal79

Dodgegal79 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2007
    Princeton BC Canada
    Thats too funny. Little ducks can squeeze themselves into or out of anything it seems.

3. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    They do get themselves in trouble don't they? I am glad she is ok! [​IMG]

4. Sparrow

Sparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    I was SO glad to see that she was alright! I was worried that she might have sprained her leg because of the way she was wedged in, but she is completely fine. I also modified their jug so there areno more holes to get stuck in.

It's wierd what ducklings seemto get themselves into! They are so squishy I guess they are capable of some surprising things. [​IMG] This particular baby is a wild thing!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by