My ducklings are chasing each other! Help!

oliviachilton

Hatching
Jul 3, 2020
I am very new to raising ducklings and need help. my two ducklings are very cuddly and I believe one of them has indented on the other (just by how much they spend with each other and how they chirp when I pick one up and not the other.) but I'm not too sure if the other duck has also indented on the other one. Anyways, earlier they were 'chasing each other.' I say 'chasing each other' but what I mean is that they start running after one another, then take a little break and go lay on a blanket I got them, then go chase each other again. each time it seems a different one initiates the chasing. in the middle of the chasing one will also go into their water and start splashing and playing in it, so I don't know if they are trying to assert dominance or just playing. they are about a week old and it's only the two of them together. I spend a lot of time with them and see that they mostly are very cuddly, but ofc that is because they are 'herd' animals. I'm not too sure the gender of each of them, but I believe one is female and one is male, but don't quote me on that. I just don't know if I should try to break up their 'fights' (if they're even fighting) or just let them chase one another.

btw, this is them right now, as you see their very cuddly and are like the almost 24/7.

Attachments

• IMG_2751.jpg
    IMG_2751.jpg
    328.2 KB · Views: 15
They're funny little things. I wouldn't worry. If they start pulling feathers, you can use Bitter Apple spray (sold to prevent chewing in puppies) to make the feathers taste bad. It does sound like normal playing, though. (BTW, the word you're looking for is "imprinted," not "indented.")

They're funny little things. I wouldn't worry. If they start pulling feathers, you can use Bitter Apple spray (sold to prevent chewing in puppies) to make the feathers taste bad. It does sound like normal playing, though. (BTW, the word you're looking for is "imprinted," not "indented.")
thank you! and haha! I meant to put imprinted, but the word totally slipped my mind and I just put the first thing I thought of. thank you for your help! :)

Back
Top Bottom