My ducklings are gone!! :'( :'(

I'm so sorry! I have four ducklings of my own, and it would kill me to lose one. I hope that you can recover well from your loss, and I send many attempts at comforting you.
:aww
I hope that dog pays!! Not to say that I want him dead, too, but it almost seems fitting. Take a life, give a life.
I hope you are comforted by your repliers replies.

Buh-bye.

We live right outside of Nashville and have 8 ducklings, some of which need a home. I would be happy to let you have them after you get your enclosure secured! We have chainlink and then chicken wire attached to the bottom 18 inches and either buried or angled onto the ground for another few inches. Because we have 2 large dogs that would love to get our chickens and ducks, we have electric fencing around bottom, as well. It keeps everything out, so far, at least. We have coyotes, dogs, cats, hawks, foxes, etc. around here and this has worked out well. Our chickies are in a tractor my DH built for them and that is a great home.

You need to call Animal Control and they will come get the dog, even if it belongs to someone else. They will have to pay to get the stinker out so maybe they will take better care. If it doesn't have an owner, then maybe it will be adopted by someone not close to you! We had to do that a few years back and it worked nicely!

If you are interested in the duckies let me know and I'll get with you to discuss it!
hugs.gif

The problem is he's a great dog and if we call the animal control they euthenize all animals without a tag! I tried to follow him around to find the rest of them but he just kept coming up to me and watching. stupid dog! I'm going to the neighbors up the road house and find out if hes theirs if not I'll see if I can't find him a good home away from animals. he also got into my eggs and was eating them so he has to go. i don't even want to think what he would do to my quail once they are put out!!

Mamah hen- what kind are they? we had bantams cause we don't have a pond to put them in right now.
Crystal

Last edited:
I am so sorry I just went through this my self. I lost 5 ducks and 2 hens to the neighbors dog. After catching the dog loose on my property, and talking to the neighbors, I have not seen the dog since. I have ot lost any birds since.

I am not normaly a violent person, but had the neighbors not done anything, I was more than ready to shoot the dog if it had come back onto my property.

We have a buff drake and duck and a cayuga duck so there are some buffs and some mixed. They are all adorable! We don't have papers and all that, got the drake and girls at a feed store, but they are as healthy as can be. The cayuga is fairly large and heavy, but the buff girl is sort of slender. She is also sitting on another mound of eggs (really, a huge mound!) as we incubated the present ducklings. We use a kiddie pool and empty it after they have had a good swim. They are just too funny when they get clean water!

mammahen the woman who I got the original ducklings says she has more so I am going to go get them tomorrow. thank you for the offer though. you might try the TN poultry groupe if your wanting to get rid of some. Crystal

I just went thru the same thing, except it was OUR dog that killed 3 of our 6 ducks.

I had just fed and watered and was out cleaning my pond. My dogs have electric collars and the electric fence wire keeps them out of the chicken yard. But when I was cleaning the pond, the pond pump and the electric dog fence transmitter are on the same plug in, I must have unplugged the transmitter.

Next thing I knew, I saw three ducks running across a part of the yard they shouldn't have been in. I ran around the shed and there is my Rottie, completely in the duck enclosure, with three dead ducklings laying at his feet. I'm sure if I hadn't been there, he would have gotten all 6 of them. I was soooo mad and upset. Mainly because it was partly my fault that he got into the cage. Then, later in the day.....he must have been on a bird hunting craze......he gets into my laundry room and gets three of my bantams that I had in a brooder between the washer and dryer! All this in ONE DAY! My DH is really lucky he still has a dog. My other dog, a German Shepard mix, shows no interest in any of my poultry, thank goodness.

I was hoping my dogs would be good protectors. Instead they want to eat my poor little birds.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom