My ducks are coming tomorrow!

Aawww! Littke cuties! :hugs:love
Is it possible that there is a little Hookbill in their ancestry?
Oh my..
I will research.......

they all slept sound still in their temporary boxes/tub on my living room floor- my budgie sang to them all evening!
I put them in the run all day today- they ate and drank a good b-fast- during the day they drank lots of water and began to explore the run. I gave them some raspberries and blueberries....
After the sun goes behind the trees on property i have 1.5 hours until sunset- i will bring their dinner food to them and then one more night inside my house the next night they will go in the duck house-

I'm not certain what feed you ended up with, but at the first sign of any lameness supplement with Niacin. You might want to do an on site search on 'Niacin deficiency'. Good luck with your new flock.

@PATOS how are your babies doing?
20190116_090202.jpg

Second night in the duck house- I used the brooder tub, dug a spot and made a pool for them!...they love and I think it is needed to clean themselves.
20190115_164324.jpg
Yesterday -after dinner and and swim (around sunset 9pm or so) I saw the big male/Big Brother- (his name is Gem BtW) I saw him herd the others inside the house..up the ramp...3 of them could not find the way and they just ran around near the ramp screaming and flapping those angel wings looking for their siblings..Gem came back out and showed them the way! He is handsome....I will include a photo of him...

They are eating and drinking well. We have lots of good bugs and foraging areas-
I plan to grow meal worms and micro greens soon.
....any suggestions in that area would be great.

I built the duck house and run so I could see it from my living room- and my budgie can watch his friends too.
20190116_090116.jpg

Last edited:
This must be so exciting for the new owner!! I can clearly remember my first ducks--and also my latest shipment, which was every bit as exciting. I can only wish PATOS good luck, and godspeed with his new flock!
Thank you for your kind words!!
Come visit anytime!!!!

Are you leaving feed and water out for them 24/7 right now? As fast as they grow it is really best they get to eat when they want. Until st least 5-6 weeks of age then food and water can be taken away at night.
Theses 12 are very hardy from 4 to 6 weeks old I think...I have been feeding them twice a day but they are doing very well- I do not want food and water in the house for several reasons....
When I hatch and brood I will remember what you said- Thank you!

Theses 12 are very hardy from 4 to 6 weeks old I think...I have been feeding them twice a day but they are doing very well- I do not want food and water in the house for several reasons....
When I hatch and brood I will remember what you said- Thank you!
Food and water can stay outside, and put up over night but I still hope you'll consider feeding them free feed during the day. They have such a high metabolism they need nourishment any time they want. Watch for shaky legs or weak legs.

Back
Top Bottom