My Ducks are leaving....

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Thompsonv, Dec 2, 2016.

1. Thompsonv

Thompsonv Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2016
    Kenduskeag, Maine
    I'm still kinda new to duck ownership but we have one male and one female rouen. I raised them from a week old and they are usually pretty self sufficient. They don't normally wander off or if they do it's not far, however over the past week they have wound up on the neighbors front lawn and I believe the house across from us. When I come outside and make a lot of noise or they hear my dog barking it's almost like a call for them to come home and they slowly find their way back. But both of these places are further than I want them to roam and although they get along with my dogs I'm scared they may not have fear of other dogs who might not be as nice. They have a small enclosed pen I have been locking them in lately as "punishment" for leaving haha but this isn't fool proof. I like to let them roam mainly cause their pen is so small but i'm not sure what to do. Are they getting bored cause no one is outside or are they looking for a new owner or what lol? I was just curious if others have had issues of their ducks roaming this far. Clint and Crackers thank you in advance!
    [​IMG]

2. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

That's a cute pair! My ducks would wander, too, if I didn't clip wings and, more importantly, fence them in. They're just curious creatures, and I don't think the wandering necessarily means that they're unhappy at home.

I had a similar problem with my chickens (I started with them, first) wandering over to the neighbor's yard - even though they had their own acreage to roam - and crossing the road out front, and had to erect "emergency" fencing to prevent their exploring. When a few flew over the fence the next day :he, wing clipping became part of the routine. Now, everyone stays where they should...and I also know that the fencing has prevented loose dogs from getting to them.

1 person likes this.
  3. Jacob Duckman

Jacob Duckman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2016
    Lehigh Valley
    That's funny, I've had almost the exact same situation. I have a pair of ducks that are free ranging and every once in a while they get in a mood and start wondering off to the neighbor's property. They've been cool enough not to complain about it, but it doesn't look too good.. lol

I've decided to start building a larger duck pond and fill it with feeder fish to keep them entertained. I think it just comes out of boredom...

4. Lilki

Lilki Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2016
    All the birds around here are doing their mating rituals and pairing up. A couple of weeks ago my male mallard flew off never to return and I think this may be why. It was preceded by short flights in circles around my house and in the neighbors yard. He then took one giant flight several hundred feet in the air and was gone.

My hen is still here, hanging with the other females. If you're afraid of them flying off you'd best clip their wings.

5. quackers619

quackers619 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    fayetteville,ga
    We had three ducks that roamed the neighborhood and everyone one on our street loved it and looked out for them....... so we let them do their thing and for a year no problems then someone in a different neighborhood let their dogs out and they killed all 3 of my ducks and so i guess the point to my story is you never know what can happen and its to bad because if ducks free range there always at risk lucky for me my new ducks don't leave the back of my property often but i know because they are not fenced in anything can happen but my dogs stay out back and they are a good alarm system so i pay close attention when they bark

6. Amykins

Amykins Overrun With Chickens

May 11, 2013
    You need to protect your ducks. Letting them roam the neighborhood is going to get them killed. It's not a matter of if, but when.

1 person likes this.
  7. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    I could not have poultry with out good fencing.

8. Thompsonv

Thompsonv Just Hatched

Jun 15, 2016
    Kenduskeag, Maine
    Thank you everyone, I have been penning them a lot more and they appear to be staying in the yard much more. I fed them lettuce and gave them extra incentives to hang out. I do think it has been based on boredom. However the flying doesn't appear to be an issue, they are Rouens not mallards and Clint is too heavy to fly very well if at all and Crackers well she can sorta fly about three feet above the ground for about a twenty foot distance. We just got our first snow of the year only a couple inches. I'm worried for them mainly cause I am a new ducky mom and they aren't doing much. It's like they get up and waddle a few feet or so and then nest down in the snow then get up move a little and do it again. It's like they are laying down five times as much as before we had the snow. Are they cold? Is there anything I can do? If they aren't cold are there signs to look out for in the future this winter of when they do become cold? Clint and Crackers thank you in advance <3 [​IMG]

9. FoodFreedomNow

FoodFreedomNow Chillin' With My Peeps

We haven't gotten snow yet this year (supposedly on its way, though), but my ducks behaved similarly last year when it snowed - taking breaks to lay in the snow when they were out walking around. By lying down periodically, they could cover their feet and warm them back up. My preference would be for them to hang out someplace warmer and snow-free, like their coop or the barn, but they obviously have minds of their own. [​IMG] I'd just check their feet regularly to make sure nothing looks amiss.

1 person likes this.
  10. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

X2

They're wearing natural down Parkas but running around barefoot... I'd sit on my feet a lot more too! :gig

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by