My ducks aren’t getting along.

Lisa Hawthorn

In the Brooder
Jun 23, 2020
Hi, I’m wondering if someone could help me please. I had 2 call ducks and unfortunately one of them died. My lone lady is over 1yrs old and I’ve had her from a duckling so she’s very confident around us and is a little spoilt! I got her a friend, also another call duck who is about 3yrs old. They are both female but my girl keeps chasing the new girl off and tries to grab her whenever she’s near. It’s been over a week since I got the new girl and I thought they’d be getting on better by now. The new girl wants to be near her and follow her around but she just doesn’t want to know. They sleep separately but so they can see each other but they have free roam of the garden together. What can I do? Will they eventually get on? Is it cos my original girl is a bit of a spoilt brat that she’s behaving like this? Thank you in advance for any help, I just want them to get on!

It's very natural for a new duck to be picked on. What your doing at night maybe you should do during the day also. Just let them be where they can see each other. Yes your little Call is spoiled and thinks she is the queen but they love the company of their own kind too so she should accept the new one eventually. When you let them out together for socialization toss something yummy like mealworms on the ground so they are distracted by food instead of each other. It will happen just give it time.

It's very natural for a new duck to be picked on. What your doing at night maybe you should do during the day also. Just let them be where they can see each other. Yes your little Call is spoiled and thinks she is the queen but they love the company of their own kind too so she should accept the new one eventually. When you let them out together for socialization toss something yummy like mealworms on the ground so they are distracted by food instead of each other. It will happen just give it time.
Thank you very much. I have set up a pen so they can see each other but not get to each other. Would it matter who goes in the pen, the new girl or my spoilt brat? Its a smaller space than having free roam of the garden. I really hope she does, it’s not nice seeing them like this.

Back
Top Bottom