My ducks can't live without their duck house

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by katharinad, Sep 23, 2010.

1. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

We went to town yesterday and came home late and it was dark. The ducks were still in their outdoor enclosure (1 acre fenced in), which is across the parking lot away from their duck house. Normally we let them go into our backyard 2 hours before dark so they can weed and eat bug and from their they can walk into the small pen in front of the duck house and right into the duck house. Each night they go into the duck house all by themselves and I only have to close the door. I need to mention the duck house has a night light in it and I think they love it. Anyway, last night we came back after dark and they were still in the outdoor enclosure. The poor little ducks were scared out of their mind being out in the dark. You saw them being scared in their faces. I opened the gate and they ran home to the duck house. Not walking, but running. Poor little babies.

2. Miss Ducky

Miss Ducky Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    Michigan
    Haha! Wish my ducks were like that! I can barely ever get them to bed!

3. Big Dreamer

Big Dreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2010
    Central, FL
    Same here!! [​IMG]

4. duckluv

duckluv Overrun With Chickens

Aug 20, 2010
    Ohio
    Lol

5. D'Angelo N Va.

D'Angelo N Va. Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2009
    Quote:LOL..that is sweet. I can only imagine what they looked like. Poor little things probably thought you had forgotten them.

6. sheila3935

sheila3935 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Stonington, illinois
    We let ours free range during the day but when it starts to get dark they head right for their pen and house. Never have to make them go up.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by