my ducks dislike me how do i tame them?

itsasmallfarm

Crowing
7 Years
Oct 27, 2016
canada
hello every one

right now i have two Swedish ducks (am guessing both are female from there voices), and have tried various methods on trying to tame them, right now if i enter there pen they hide behind there water container, and if i try to look at them or touch them its the end of the world they run around like crazy (am worried that they might trip and break a leg), but most of the time i can not get near them.

so does anyone have a method for taming ducks? or just getting them to settle down (there 7 or 8 weeks old know have had them for 6 or 7 weeks) its just that am looking at getting some mature geese and ducks this fall and am worried that they will act the same as these ones with them being terrified of me. also there pet ducks so it would be awesome if they liked me lol.

but thanks itsasmallfarm out.

Treats can help. Find what they like and use it. Toss them from a distance, than slowly toss them closer. Don't chase them, sit quietly by them. Young poultry tend to be a bit more frightened by things, it's an instinct. Most become friendly as they mature and they become more confident.

Trying just sitting in their enclosure, I find that when I'm in the enclosure, after a while they relax and go about their normal activity. I give peas as a treat and they love em!
thank you, i will have to try that tomorrow as its there bed time now :)
Treats can help. Find what they like and use it. Toss them from a distance, than slowly toss them closer. Don't chase them, sit quietly by them. Young poultry tend to be a bit more frightened by things, it's an instinct. Most become friendly as they mature and they become more confident.
thank you, right now they like seeds and dandelions, will have to start giving them more treats like lettuce, also can ducks have everything chickens can have? we have raised chickens for close to 8-9 months know and have the list for what they can and cant have, are ducks the same? thanks

Ask yourself, what would Jesus do? God wins our hearts with love. He blesses us, even when we don't deserve it. I try the same with my chickens. :D good luck!
thank you, i will try to give them as much care as i can and not get disappointed when they are scared of me :)

I believe they can eat the same stuff. My chickens get most stuff quicker than my muscovy ducks do. Mine do like lettuce and berries and whole corn.

I'm not a duck whisperer as of yet.. But I have had other pet birds before and I know one thing they despise is when you come at them from above. Try to get down on their level if possible. I have a butt pad I carry around so i can sit on the ground with them to interact. Gets hard on the knees squatting down all the time lol but when I need to pick them up I try to do so from underneath as much as possible. They flip out when you try to grab them from above and mine are used to being handled a lot and they still don't like to be hoovered over. That's my two cents hope it helps!

Let them hear you coming. I spend a lot of time sitting on the ground with treats. Once you know what they like (kale, peas, dried mealworms etc), feed them by hand as much as possible. I have mine sit in my lap on the ground while getting their fave snack. Next thing you know they will be begging for treats while you're cleaning the pen.

Let them hear you coming. I spend a lot of time sitting on the ground with treats. Once you know what they like (kale, peas, dried mealworms etc), feed them by hand as much as possible. I have mine sit in my lap on the ground while getting their fave snack. Next thing you know they will be begging for treats while you're cleaning the pen.
thanks, am new to raising ducks so i have no idea that they needed to be tamed when they younger. but will have to try that.
I believe they can eat the same stuff. My chickens get most stuff quicker than my muscovy ducks do. Mine do like lettuce and berries and whole corn.
thank you, today there going to be getting some lettuce and see how they like it :)

I'm not a duck whisperer as of yet.. But I have had other pet birds before and I know one thing they despise is when you come at them from above. Try to get down on their level if possible. I have a butt pad I carry around so i can sit on the ground with them to interact. Gets hard on the knees squatting down all the time lol but when I need to pick them up I try to do so from underneath as much as possible. They flip out when you try to grab them from above and mine are used to being handled a lot and they still don't like to be hoovered over. That's my two cents hope it helps!
that is a good idea will have to get something to sit on, will have to try not to stand above them, and get down on there level.

thank you every one :)

Back
Top Bottom