My ducks hate me.

HouseMouseHens

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 31, 2012
Portland, Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
I have seven ducklings (two of which are going to a new home tomorrow) between the ages of 5 weeks and two weeks. I also have chickens (a year old now). At this point in having my chickens, most of them would come up to me when I sat in their area, and would eat treats out of my hand. My ducklings are absolutely terrified of me, and I don't understand why. I try to feed them treats, we talk to them all the time and try to sit really still with them but they just run away frantically running each other over like we're going to hurt them. Will it ever get better? Or are ducks just not as friendly as chickens? I had a few chickens who would never eat from my hand and would run away but now as adults every one of them runs up expecting treats when I come into the yard. Is there any hope that my ducklings will be the same way even if they hate me now?

redneck farmer

Songster
6 Years
Feb 1, 2013
in the swamp killin hawgs
Frist, your ducks don't HATE you animals don't hate( except dogs to cats ;) ). Second they are just scared an I have a chick who got beat up by others an hurt bad. She would never let anyone touch her or eat out of anyone's hands. My tequnie is the more you hold them against there will the more they like you ( strange right?)
If you just get ONE ( works best with the most dominate duckling) to be clam around you the others will follow the attitude
Hope this helps ;) :) ;)

HouseMouseHens

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 31, 2012
Portland, Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
Frist, your ducks don't HATE you animals don't hate( except dogs to cats
wink.png
). Second they are just scared an I have a chick who got beat up by others an hurt bad. She would never let anyone touch her or eat out of anyone's hands. My tequnie is the more you hold them against there will the more they like you ( strange right?)
If you just get ONE ( works best with the most dominate duckling) to be clam around you the others will follow the attitude
Hope this helps
wink.png
smile.png
wink.png

Maybe I'll just sit out in their pen and give them some forced socialization. Hahaha! MAKE them like me! :)

Going Quackers

Crowing
9 Years
May 24, 2011
On, Canada
Food! cannot stress this enough, get some peas, romaine lettuce.. i am tripping over my 7wk olds because i did this with them since they were born in winter and it took forever to get them out to forage.

Ducks are prey animals, so the instinct to flee is strong, they will learn to trust you but it's rarely right out of the gate. Personality plays a role too, some will always be more bold than others, this is the same for chickens, all mine are friendly but some are way more docile than others.

christiethorn1

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 6, 2013
Upstate NY
FOOD!!! Mine are around 6-7 weeks and as soon as I come in the run and sit down they come running!! I have 4 khaki campbells and they will climb on my lap and all over me at treat time. Any time other than treat time, I am the plague...lol!!! What I do love about them is if they have not seen me for most of the day they will follow me everywhere!!! My hubby calls me mommy duck :)

HouseMouseHens

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 31, 2012
Portland, Oregon
My Coop
My Coop
Well, I gave them peas yesterday, tried to get them to eat them out of my hand but they wouldn't come close enough to, so I gave up and put the bowl down. They wouldn't come near it until I was out of the run and the door was closed. :/

Maybe today I'll try snatching one of them up and feeding them the peas out of my hand. I've tried that with their regular food but they just trembled in fear. Haha! Maybe the peas will be enough of a temptation. They love yogurt and cottage cheese too so maybe I'll try that. Though maybe not IN my hand. :)

Carcajou

Songster
7 Years
Jul 3, 2012
Delhi, New York
I wouldn't try picking them up to feed treats if they keep shying away, it will just stress them out. Just be patient and let them come to you when you feed them treats. Try sitting on the ground and placing the treats out in front of you. It will just take time depending on their temperament.

NebrJim

Hatching
8 Years
Apr 15, 2011
I have a couple ducks and by accident I discovered while holding them when they were very small that stroking the top of the bill with my pointer finger while using my thumb under the bottom really calms them quickly. I don't know if it's just these 2 but it's worth a try. Good luck!

Miss Lydia

~Gift of God ~ Eternal Life ~John 3:16
Premium Feather Member
11 Years
Oct 3, 2009
Mountains of Western N.C.
I wouldn't try picking them up to feed treats if they keep shying away, it will just stress them out. Just be patient and let them come to you when you feed them treats. Try sitting on the ground and placing the treats out in front of you. It will just take time depending on their temperament.
X2

chickery-do

Songster
6 Years
Mar 25, 2013
Shellburne, NH
I have seven ducklings (two of which are going to a new home tomorrow) between the ages of 5 weeks and two weeks. I also have chickens (a year old now). At this point in having my chickens, most of them would come up to me when I sat in their area, and would eat treats out of my hand. My ducklings are absolutely terrified of me, and I don't understand why. I try to feed them treats, we talk to them all the time and try to sit really still with them but they just run away frantically running each other over like we're going to hurt them. Will it ever get better? Or are ducks just not as friendly as chickens? I had a few chickens who would never eat from my hand and would run away but now as adults every one of them runs up expecting treats when I come into the yard. Is there any hope that my ducklings will be the same way even if they hate me now?

I have almost the same problem. But I've been sitting w/them and clicking w/ my tounge when they take the food from my hand hoping for the best. It's sad when people say there like puppy and they act more like battered animals! But I'll keep trying, You should to!

Top Bottom