My ducks have started to fly! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by agregg15, May 14, 2011.

1. agregg15

agregg15 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    My neighbors have motorcycles and today they went up the road and 2 of my ducks freaked out and FLEW into their coop. Did I mention that they are only 8 weeks old! After that the rest of them were (and still are) flapping their wings and standing on their tippy-toes trying to fly as well. I was reading that you're not supposed to clip duck wings until 14-16 weeks of age. What should I do?

2. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    I'd suggest putting them in an enclosed area until they get used to the sounds of the motorcycles. After a week or two they shouldn't startle from those sounds and you could let them loose in your yard again I would think.

3. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I personally wouldnt worry about it unless you live in an area where they absolutly cant fly. I have muscovies and they fly ALOT. But they always stay around. I have never had one dissapear on me and the most that they even fly is across the yard when I come to feed [​IMG]

4. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    They've already heard the noises for the 4 weeks they've been out and it hasn't changed. I just don't want them all to start flying and get out of their run because if a leaf drops they freak out. Should I clip their wings now?

Last edited: May 14, 2011
  5. agregg15

Apr 8, 2011
    Connecticut
    I'm just fearful because they're mallards and I also have bears, cats, dogs, birds of prey, weasels, etc around my house. The dogs down the road would also grab them.

6. DuckLover9138

DuckLover9138 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    I have Mallards as well and around the same age (a little younger). Its really your choice. I wouldn't risk it because they won't trust me anymore. I am not sure how you can hold them. When I pick them up, they immediately fly out! I guess they might trust you more.

7. ducks_rcool329

ducks_rcool329 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2011
    Black Forest, Colorado
    make sure that they can't fly away, so where ever they are should have some sort of cover that they can't get through... I had the same problem with my mallards ( except with a milk man at 2 am.... don't ask lol) once they get to be older, they are usually are to lazy and fat to fly off....... ha

8. DurhamDuck

DurhamDuck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2011
    Durham, Connecticut
    Quote:If you've got that many predators around and your ducks are free ranging then I would not clip their wings because flying is their only defense against predators. If you are keeping them fenced in with a safe enclosure then it shouldn't be an issue.

9. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
    If you have bird of prey in the area you may want to invest in something like avian netting to cover the pen anyway.

10. MissusDee

MissusDee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    I had one that would fly after the bus. I cut her wings a little on one side with scissors, she could still fly, but not as well. http://www.cornerstonefarm.net/wingdemo.html The partial cut is kind of how I did it, and you can follow up later if you need to. Doesn't hurt the bird at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by