My ducks have started to fly! HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!

agregg15

Songster
8 Years
Apr 8, 2011
Connecticut
My neighbors have motorcycles and today they went up the road and 2 of my ducks freaked out and FLEW into their coop. Did I mention that they are only 8 weeks old! After that the rest of them were (and still are) flapping their wings and standing on their tippy-toes trying to fly as well. I was reading that you're not supposed to clip duck wings until 14-16 weeks of age. What should I do?

I'd suggest putting them in an enclosed area until they get used to the sounds of the motorcycles. After a week or two they shouldn't startle from those sounds and you could let them loose in your yard again I would think.

I personally wouldnt worry about it unless you live in an area where they absolutly cant fly. I have muscovies and they fly ALOT. But they always stay around. I have never had one dissapear on me and the most that they even fly is across the yard when I come to feed
roll.png

They've already heard the noises for the 4 weeks they've been out and it hasn't changed. I just don't want them all to start flying and get out of their run because if a leaf drops they freak out. Should I clip their wings now?

Last edited:
I'm just fearful because they're mallards and I also have bears, cats, dogs, birds of prey, weasels, etc around my house. The dogs down the road would also grab them.

I have Mallards as well and around the same age (a little younger). Its really your choice. I wouldn't risk it because they won't trust me anymore. I am not sure how you can hold them. When I pick them up, they immediately fly out! I guess they might trust you more.

make sure that they can't fly away, so where ever they are should have some sort of cover that they can't get through... I had the same problem with my mallards ( except with a milk man at 2 am.... don't ask lol) once they get to be older, they are usually are to lazy and fat to fly off....... ha

Quote:
If you've got that many predators around and your ducks are free ranging then I would not clip their wings because flying is their only defense against predators. If you are keeping them fenced in with a safe enclosure then it shouldn't be an issue.

Back
Top Bottom