My ducks having babies! Help!!

allyyy

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jun 25, 2013
I have 2 females and 2 males. One of my females has been sitting on her eggs. So far 5 have hatched. 1 died and the other 4 seem pretty active. The mom doesn't let us get too close though. What do I do!? Do I take them and put them under heat? Like I did their mom when I got her as a baby or do I just let the mom care for them?? I really need to know what to do. I've never done this before I got my others from a farm and ranch store so I'm not sure what to do with these little babies! So so cute and tiny!! :)

Will the other ducks mess with them? Should I put food out for them specifically?

I have 2 females and 2 males. One of my females has been sitting on her eggs. So far 5 have hatched. 1 died and the other 4 seem pretty active. The mom doesn't let us get too close though. What do I do!? Do I take them and put them under heat? Like I did their mom when I got her as a baby or do I just let the mom care for them?? I really need to know what to do. I've never done this before I got my others from a farm and ranch store so I'm not sure what to do with these little babies! So so cute and tiny!!
smile.png

Good advice from the others.
welcome-byc.gif
and best of luck with your flock expansion!

Will the other ducks mess with them? Should I put food out for them specifically?

Especially since you have two boys, I'd keep them separate until the babies are fully grown. We've had drakes injure ducklings that weren't strong enough to support their weight plus the weight of the drake when the drake mounted them. Our last hatch and their mamas escaped their separation pen when they were about 7 weeks old. I wasn't comfortable with that because they were still kinda small, but I guess we had enough other hens this time that the drakes left them alone. But with only one other hen, I imagine your boys will be looking for some action. . .

Have fun! Watching mamas raise their babies is such a treat!

Back
Top Bottom