MY DUCK'S INJURED, HELP!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lyssamarie, Feb 6, 2017.

1. lyssamarie

lyssamarie New Egg

Feb 6, 2017
    I have a male runner duck and he injured his leg I'm pretty sure one of my goats accidentally stepped on his leg and broke it I'm only 15 and I cant quite tell if it's his foot or his leg that's broken and I was wondering how to make a splint I would take him to the vet but my dads one of those people that say they either get better or they don't

2. Ren2014

Ren2014 Blessed Beyond Hope Premium Member

Jan 27, 2014
    Texas
    Can you post a picture?

3. QuackSpeak

QuackSpeak Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2017
    Yes, a picture would help more experienced members to figure out how to help... I won't be much help. All I can say is to give him the Basics: Food, water, warmth, comfort. Take him away from the other ducks, if you can, in a nice, warm environment - preferably inside.

4. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    casportpony is pretty creative with solutions.´

You need to set the bones - if it's swollen it may be difficult to tell what's going on, so I would wrap the leg and foot loosely with an Epsom salt compress..´´(dissolve two tablespoons Epsom salt in a half cup of warm water, soak a clean cloth in that, wrap the leg while holding the duck).

If you think it would be easier to just add Epsom salt to a tub bath, it is, but ducks drink their tub water and Epsom salt is a laxative, so, no, please do not add diarrhea to his list of woes. You can also hold him as he stands in a shallow bucket with Epsom salt solution - but do not let him drink it.

That can reduce swelling and start the healing process.

Vet wrap and coffee stirrers can make a decent splint - you need to make sure the wrapping is not too tight because he needs circulation in the leg. I think some folks wrap below the joint and above it so the joint does not get stiff.

You could also make a sling, to take weight off the leg for several days. Make a place in the back so he can poop onto the floor instead of sitting in it. Some use one inch pvc and make what looks like a table frame, then use fabric for the sling. Lemon the Duck had something like that, you might be able to still find pictures of it.

I like using herbal remedies if they have proven useful, and comfrey has been used for many years to help bones heal - use it externally. You can either buy salve - that can get pricey - or buy some dried herb and soak it in warmed olive oil overnight, then store that in the frij. Rub a bit of that oil all over the leg twice a day.

Ducks can heal from dreadful injuries if they just are given a chance, and some help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by