My ducks look wet?

CASEYPIETRO7

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 16, 2014
I know that sounds weird but I have 5 ducks all together and the parents lol well idk what breed they were but they passed away the 5 I have now are the offspring of the parents but I forget the breeds. I know the 2 females 1was Peking and the othe was a black and white magpie. Anyways I have 2 ducks now that constantly look wet and dirty it's the middle of winter so I don't have the pool out for them and I, sure that's why they look dirty but they're wet I have a light in their coop on al,owt 24/7 and I lock them in at night so you think they would like dry but no. The other 3 look clean and dry but the gray ones are gross looking lol I love them to death but it's gross sometimes and I feel bad please help?

No expert, but I got a large Rubbermaid tote, and on the warmer (above freezing) days I fill it with warm water. I then bring the ducks over one at a time and allow them a few minutes of bathing time. I then will pat them dry with a towel before putting them back in the coop. Mine are also looking pretty grungy lately because it has been too cold to do that.

I suppose you could also put them in the bathtub and wait to put them back outside until they are dry. That is what I did when they were ducklings before they went out to the outdoor run.

If they are white, they kinda do look gross in the winter. Like Nickeechickee said, if it is above freezing give them some pool water, that's what I do with my white Calls. What do you mean by "wet"? Like, they feel wet, or they just look wet.....? Post a picture maybe?

There is something called wet feather, caused by mites. So it would be good to get them into a lukewarm - even coolish - tub, let them clean off and look closely for any mites - the ones mentioned in Storey's Guide To Raising Ducks are tan.

If it has been a while since they molted, the feathers may just be in sad shape.

I have found diet can make a difference in feather condition, and I add a little ground flax seed to their ration, and have started feeding them sprouted wheat seeds, too.

Back
Top Bottom