1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My duck's nest taken over by a hen

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Nancy's girls, Sep 10, 2011.

1. Nancy's girls

Nancy's girls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    My duck laid a nest of eggs a few weeks ago. Over the last week one of my hens has taken over the nest and the mom duck doesn't seem to care any more. Two questions: One, I would like to move the nest. Is that ok? Two, if I remove the hen from the scene will the duck go back to her nest or is it too late? Do I just let mama hen hatch the ducklings? I guess there is a #3, will my other hens attack the ducklings (this is why I am wanting to move them)?

2. cat1994

cat1994 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Southeast MO
    I would like to move the nest. Is that ok? Yes you can move a broody chicken and her nest
    If I remove the hen from the scene will the duck go back to her nest or is it too late? I would think the duck has moved on and will not go back
    Do I just let mama hen hatch the ducklings? Why not
    Will my other hens attack the ducklings (this is why I want to move them)? I would either move the other hens or the broody and the eggs or maybe you could put up a wall of wire or something to separate them all but yes I wouldn't want the other hens around the ducklings

3. Nancy's girls

Nancy's girls Out Of The Brooder

Aug 24, 2009
    Thanks. We will move adoptive mom and eggs tomorrow to their own fenced garden space.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by