1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

My ducks think they are goats

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Horsefly, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Horsefly

Horsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    My ducks seriously believe they are goats. They have a huge pond but refuse to swim in it unless I bribe them with food and even then jump out every minute or so. If I go back in the yard during the day I usually find them hanging around the same area as the goats. They try and eat with the goats (goats just look at them like what in the world is are these white invader things), they are always waiting for me to open the goats stall in the morning so they can go in and finish any leftover food. Last night was the kicker though. I usually lock them up at night in their own house but had to go somewhere before it was dark. So I let the ducks stay out till I got home and locked the goats up in their stall. I came home and went to pick the ducks up, well I couldn't find them. Then I heard a quack and turn and the silly ducks are laying in the goat stall with the goats!! I still don't know how they got in there, there is only like a 4 or 5 inch gap under the door and they are large ducks. They didn't want to come out either, I had to go pick them up and carry them to their home.
    I love my goatie ducks. I supose it's better than my neighbors ducks who think they are dogs... She drew the line when they tried to follow the dogs in the house lol.

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

I would say let them live with the goats, if they want.

3. tia

tia Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2009
    Valdez, Alaska
    What a cute story. That is so funny! You will have to post some pictures.

4. Horsefly

Horsefly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2010
    Louisiana
    I would let them live with the goats, they would probably be safer, but I worry about unsanitary conditions being created. As it is I have to scrub the goats water bucket every day because the ducks filter food in it.

5. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

You hang the water buckets for the goat up high so the ducks don't get into them. The goat may still go for the duck water.

6. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Let the ducks live with the goats! They make great companions. From a natural standpoint, ruminants & birds go together--in the course of eating greenery, ruminants cause fresh green growth for the birds and also stir up the dirt & bugs for the birds; in return, the birds fertilize the grass and plants and keep it green for the ruminants, while reducing parasites and insect problems. Perfect pairing.

From a practical backyard/barnyard standpoint, you'll have to put the goat water where the ducks can't reach it, but other than that it's a great pairing--the ducks clean up excess feed & reduce bug problems, the goats provide a measure of small predator protection. And obviously they like each other.

My ducks & goats don't share living quarters at present, but I am planning a larger night-time enclosure that will accommodate them all--they'll have more combined space, and the benefits of living together.

Good luck!

7. Kim65

Kim65 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2009
    Washington state
    Quote:Yep, I have ducks that live with goats, and the goat water is up where the ducks can't poop and swim in it. The goats will get parasites from the duck poo.

Ducks on the other hand will LOVE living with goats, esp for the dropped grains and treats [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by