My ducks voice is gonem

Apr 18, 2021
My duck's voice is gone! She sounds like... A drake! Kinda... I can't get a video because she won't do it when I hold her. I definitely know she is a she, as I've had her for 4 years, and she lays her eggs. Or is this the case of a duck gaining a teste from her second ovary? She sounds almost raspy, but at the same time it kinda sounds like a respiratory infection. Or a odd crop impaction. But her only symptom is he voice change. Other than that she is still acting her normal self. No labored breathing, no sneezing, gurgling etc. I know for sure she is a she, she lays black pigmented eggs as she is a Cayuga, & my only Cayuga.

What to y'all think? Any other reasons for a ducks voice to go out?

My duck's voice is gone! She sounds like... A drake! Kinda... I can't get a video because she won't do it when I hold her. I definitely know she is a she, as I've had her for 4 years, and she lays her eggs. Or is this the case of a duck gaining a teste from her second ovary? She sounds almost raspy, but at the same time it kinda sounds like a respiratory infection. Or a odd crop impaction. But her only symptom is he voice change. Other than that she is still acting her normal self. No labored breathing, no sneezing, gurgling etc. I know for sure she is a she, she lays black pigmented eggs as she is a Cayuga, & my only Cayuga.

What to y'all think? Any other reasons for a ducks voice to go out?
Humm. Has she been quacking excessively lately for any reason?
Any kind of new bedding that could be giving her a sort of allergy?

Humm. Has she been quacking excessively lately for any reason?
Any kind of new bedding that could be giving her a sort of allergy?
No, she has not been quacking excessively lately, and their bedding is deep bedding, haven't added any new bedding recently! All I use is pine, hay, and leaves, the normal stuff they are used toand have been living with for a long time.

Any chance of trauma to her throat/neck? Maybe rough mating? I have an older Rouen who is usually fog-horn level loud. She lost her voice last fall after a visit to the vet for being egg-bound. I don’t know if it was the trauma of passing the egg or if she struggled while being restrained, but she couldn’t quack for weeks. In her case, she sounded like a kazoo. She only needed time.

I know this post is a few months old but one of my rouen girls is going through this. Did your girl recover? Did you find anything out about it?

Back
Top Bottom