My ducks won't forage!!!!

I'm not sure of their exact ages, as I said they were strays. I know that cracked corn isn't sufficient and that females lay eggs regardless. I know that a male is needed for fertilization. I know too much or too little protein can cause certain deformities such as angel wing. I wasn't aware that I needed to give my female Pekin extra calcium to ensure she lays eggs because I didn't really want them and she wasn't laying them to begin with. Ive read up on laying ducks needing the calcium from oyster shell for when they're laying. But I didn't know I needed to force my duck to lay eggs. Thought it was something that came natural. I only have one female and the other is a male, despite the names. I know this for a fact.

"June hasn't layed eggs at all so will oyster shell stimulate something in her to get her started laying eggs? I don't really want them seeing as how I wouldn't eat them and since they won't be fertilized I know we won't have chickies"

The oyster shell won't stimulate her to start laying eggs, it's just a good thing to give ducks of laying age so that their bodies have what they need. And if you have a boy & girl of mating age (I understand you are not sure of their ages, they could be too young to mate & lay), but once they are old enough to mate, there is, of course, a good chance any eggs will be fertile. Of course, you can just collect any eggs and throw them away. Good luck to you.

According to what I've read and experienced with my quail, if they don't have a good nutrition to lay eggs, they don't lay eggs. I don't know if that will be across the board to other laying birds (like chickens) but there are definitely conditions and nutrition that is good for layers, so there might be the opposite conditions that cause them not to lay, too.

However, some of the suggestions here are because people thought your ducks are laying.

As for knowing the exact age, basically if they have passed a certain age, whether you know it exactly or not, just give them the adult foods.

Thanks again everyone for the advice! I figured out a routine that seems to work well for them. Whenever they get loud in the morning I go out to the yard armed with breakfast and a hose to make a mud puddle. I toss breakfast (mainly just their favorite veggies, I have yet to speak to their vet about what will work best for them) into the puddle and they go crazy for it. It's definitely encouraged them to forage again so that's relieving. On top of that, I'm spending more time with them than I already have been. Usually this Florida heat keeps me inside writing my thesis and what not but I've taken to having my breakfast outside with them as they eat. Same in the evening, which I would usually spend about half an hour/45 minutes with them. I figured when it cools down in the evening would be the best time to just sit outside and finish homework. I probably should have taken in to consideration the fact that they would be a bit more socially needy after the incident.

Little ones enjoying their time foraging!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom