My Ducks won't go in their pool anymore!!

racefanz

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jun 30, 2009
Maine
Back in the spring we purchased 3 ducks, snowy calls, and 4 bantum pullets. One of the pullets died the day we got it home. Either way, the 3 ducks and the 3 bantum pullets have lived together since the spring. A few weeks ago, one of the bantum pullets drowned in the small pool that I have for the ducks to swim in. The ducks used to swim in the pool all the time, but since the death of the pullet none of them will get in the pool. Please help! I feel bad that they have no where to swim and get clean. I had one of those hospital washbasins that I filled with water for them to drink and plunge their head into, the other day I saw our male duck sitting in it. It was really funny, but I'd rather they swim in the pool! Anyone have any ideas as to why they won't go in the pool anymore and what I can do to get them back in the pool? I have thought about trying to catch them and put them in the pool, but I don't to scare them.

Many waterfowl have long memories and refuse to go where one of their friends were injured or died [that is one reason to remove a duck out of sight to kill it for food]. I'll bet that if you catch your ducks and put in the pool they will be right back out again in a flash. I would try buying a different color pool to see if that works. A plastic concreate mixing trough [building supply section of a big box hardware store] is more pricy ~$12 but looks completely different [ black plastic reptangle] and lasts a long time when compared to a kiddy pool and has a ramp at one end that helps small ducks climb out. good luck!

Pick it up, clean it well and put it away for a week or so. Then put it back out in a different location and see if that helps.

Ok, I'm replying to a two year old post because when I was having this problem I couldn't find help anywhere. I don't know if my problem or the solution I found are atypical but this is what happened. I have two pekins 4 months old and four mallards 3 months old. The mallards think they belong to the Pekins (Gumbo and Stewie). I live on 14 acres but for the first few months I kept their fencing and pool in my front yard because I liked to look out my bedroom window at them and because I felt like they felt more comfortable being close to the house. My husband built their permanent enclosure which is a giant fenced area and their house. The fencing is big so they can walk through when they desire. Their house (which they stay in at night) is the secure part of the area. Anyway, when it was ready I moved their house and pool (which they always really enjoyed) back there. I also have a giant 300 gallon pool that I thought they would use soon enough. Well they boycotted their pool completely. For days and days I would find them in mud puddles and sitting in their bowl. It was like the pool didn't exist. By day six I was beside myself. The ducks were dirty, their eyes were cloudy and they didn't look happy at all. I tried everything I could think of (even putting minnows in the pool!) to no avail. Finally I put a small fence on one side of the pool and my husband and I herded the Pekins into the area. I picked up Gumbo and he picked up Stewie and we put them in the pool and stayed crouched over them. They weren't happy but they didn't fight it. Finally after about five LONG minutes Gumbo took a drink of water and Stewie followed suit. Soon they were washing their faces. My husband and I backed out of the area and the mallards joined them in the pool immediately. The following day it was the same routine, they were sipping the small mud puddles so I did the same thing but it took much less time for Gumbo to give in. This morning when I left for work, they were all happily frolicking in the pool, like nothing ever happened. So, I don't know if the extra fence makes them feel more secure, or if they were pouting or if they forgot how much they loved the pool or what. Everything I read said you should never force a duck into the pool but I really felt like their health was being compromised. If that didn't work, I was going to call a rescue becuase I felt like I was completely failing these guys. All's well that ends well I guess.

Back
Top Bottom