My Ducky Died and I Don't Know Why???

koakritters

Songster
8 Years
Jan 27, 2011
Petaluma
I came home today to find one of my 6-ish week old ducks dead in their water bucket.
hit.gif
I had just gotten them from TSC last week for fun, they were supposed to be going up to my friend's ranch next week...

There was only about 4 inches of water in the bucket, so the duck should have been able to get out easily enough... IDK why it was even in there it's just a bucket for drinking, but ducks will be ducks...

Do you think it's possible that he somehow got stuck in there and got hypothermia?? it's been about 55 out during the day but they've been fine in it so far...

Any ideas? Now i'm worried about them going to live on the ranch soon, maybe they are not ready? My old duck i've had for 7 years was outside by the time he was this old and it was colder...

I'm not entirely sure that a six week old would have sufficient feathers and oils to fend off the colder temp & water working together. It's quite possible that the duckling could not get back out and suffered hypo.

Sorry to hear of this...

I share your pain. The one i was having issues with someone filled the water dish and well i went to check on him and i couldnt find him, and so my dads dealing with him right now..
hit.gif

Im really sorry for your loss.

sorry for your loss
hugs.gif
. I had a two week old duckling die over the weekend
hit.gif
it had gotten into the kiddie pool that just had a few inches of rain water in it and the duckling either drowned or got hypothermia
hit.gif

I'm so sorry for all ya'll that have lost ducklings. Thank goodness I haven't lost a duckling yet but did lose my first chick to drowning a couple weeks ago. Broke my heart.
hugs.gif

Yep Sorry they lost them as well Miss Lydia. Many a duckling has gotten into water and cant get out till its to late. If you absolutely want them duckies to live dont let them be able to swim onless your around or at least until they have feathers all over . They will get into even the smallest bowl of water. Also since its duckling time dont give them cold water to drink as this will sometimes kill them. At least let it be at room temp. This is something not mentioned very much. And I feel this is where alot of the mystery duckling deaths come from. I will also start a thread about this.

Back
Top Bottom