My Easter Egger is laying huge eggs.

lagrange chicks

Songster
Jul 27, 2023
Wisconsin
This girl has gone through so much and now laying eggs that are really big for her size. When she 1st started to lay it was double yolks, then the eggs went soft shell, then she was just about killed by the cockerel. It took about 6 to 7 weeks after the cockerel just about pecked her to death to see another egg from her. Her 1st egg since starting to lay again was large but the 2nd egg yesterday was huge. I noticed her acting real slow moving not eating or drinking yesterday in the morning and I thought she was getting sick, in the afternoon I saw her moving better and found a huge egg in the run. She is about 7 to 8 months old. I am just wondering if there is anyway to help her with these huge eggs that seem to really effect her before she can get them out of her.

You can't really control the size of the eggs she lays; genetics play that role.

If she's struggling with laying the eggs, then you can give her Extra Calcium for a few days, this will help her with contractions.
You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 at Walmart, CVS, etc. Give her 1 tablet daily for 3-5 days. Just pull down on her wattles, pop the pill in and let her swallow.

Provide her with a nutritionally balanced poultry feed (layer, all flock, etc.) and limit treats, fatty hens will have trouble expelling large eggs.

Do provide oyster shell free choice too.

You can't really control the size of the eggs she lays; genetics play that role.

If she's struggling with laying the eggs, then you can give her Extra Calcium for a few days, this will help her with contractions.
You can find Calcium Citrate with D3 at Walmart, CVS, etc. Give her 1 tablet daily for 3-5 days. Just pull down on her wattles, pop the pill in and let her swallow.

Provide her with a nutritionally balanced poultry feed (layer, all flock, etc.) and limit treats, fatty hens will have trouble expelling large eggs.

Do provide oyster shell free choice too.
Yes on the oyster shells. Her 1st egg the other day had a thick shell. They get layer feed and about a tablespoon of scratch before dark. For treats its either some sliced grapes, oatmeal (1/2 cup) with layer feed mixed in or a couple cooked eggs maybe 3 times a week.

This girl has gone through so much and now laying eggs that are really big for her size. When she 1st started to lay it was double yolks, then the eggs went soft shell, then she was just about killed by the cockerel. It took about 6 to 7 weeks after the cockerel just about pecked her to death to see another egg from her. Her 1st egg since starting to lay again was large but the 2nd egg yesterday was huge. I noticed her acting real slow moving not eating or drinking yesterday in the morning and I thought she was getting sick, in the afternoon I saw her moving better and found a huge egg in the run. She is about 7 to 8 months old. I am just wondering if there is anyway to help her with these huge eggs that seem to really effect her before she can get them out of her.
The size of eggs is mostly genetic. You can provide calcium free-choice as a supplement to help with soft eggs in the future. Chickens often take a few weeks or months of laying to regulate their egg laying. A few soft shells, very large, very small, or other weirdness can be totally normal in the beginning. She will regulate as time goes on. I had a hen start laying this year and only laid double yolkers for six-ish months. She just started laying single yolks.

Her 1st egg since starting to lay again was large but the 2nd egg yesterday was huge. I noticed her acting real slow moving not eating or drinking yesterday in the morning and I thought she was getting sick, in the afternoon I saw her moving better and found a huge egg in the run. She is about 7 to 8 months old. I am just wondering if there is anyway to help her with these huge eggs that seem to really effect her before she can get them out of her.
Define 'huge egg', pics with something for comparison like a common coin,
also a kitchen scale is helpful here.
.....and was it single yolked?

Every so often one of my EE hens lays a huge egg. I'm not sure who & not sure why. I get normal sized blue or green eggs, then wow, a big double or triple yolker about once a month. I do offer extra calcium in a small plastic feeder. Everyone seems fine, but yeah, I was worried & looking for anyone that may seem to have a sore bottom...lol.

Every so often one of my EE hens lays a huge egg. I'm not sure who & not sure why. I get normal sized blue or green eggs, then wow, a big double or triple yolker about once a month. I do offer extra calcium in a small plastic feeder. Everyone seems fine, but yeah, I was worried & looking for anyone that may seem to have a sore bottom...lol.
Mine laid another huge egg the other day, she walks funny the day she is going to lay and seems sickly the next day or 2 after.

Back
Top Bottom