My EE is Being MEAN!!!!

PoultryQueen29

Songster
8 Years
Sep 26, 2011
North Carolina
I have three 2 month old chicks. I bought my EE and BR chicks as pullets when they were a week old and I just got a straight run Polish/Silkie mutt yesterday. Since the beginning, the EE has been very aggresive. She would jump at the BR chick and bite. I had to separate them after a few days because the BR had a red mork on her beak due to bites from the EE. A few weeks later I put them together and the BR stood up for herself more so they got along fine. Now they are starting to fight again and the EE is also bullying my new polish/silkie mix. Is my EE the dominant hen trying to establish her dominance or is she just aggresive? I dont want the others to get hurt. I noticed a red spot on the polish/silkie's beak last night and I got her yesterday afternoon.

Last edited:
Just a guess -- I suspect they need to be outdoors, at least during the day. If they are indoors with a heatlamp it may need to be raised and the brooder enlarged.

I just moved them outside yesterday but she's still chasing and nipping. They are free to go outside in the run whenever they want or they can go in the coop to eat and drink.

Should I separate the EE chick from the others for a while? She wont stop pecking the polish/silkie's beak and the red mark is getting worse. She was always mean to me so I will give her back to the hatchery if I have to.

anyone else have an idea??? I'm thinking she will have to go
sad.png
She is hurting the other chicks and shes not very friendly.

Sounds like you just 'put' the chicks together when you got the new one. Is there any way you can keep them seperated but within view? That way they can see each other and get used to one another that way.

Quote:
This is what suprises me. I did separate them when I got the polish/silkie mix with a piece of 1/4 inch wire fencing. She's used to the polish/silkie and the BR but is still acting mean.

I just went and watched them for a while and the EE will run at the polish/silkie and then they do that chest bump thing. I think they are trying to figure out whose dominant...maybe
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom