My EE..roo or hen :)

NicChicks2013

Chirping
6 Years
Sep 1, 2013
Galloway, NJ
My one EE has a larger comb than my other one. So maybe I could get some thoughts...thanks :)

Thank you all..hard to tell with EE for me. Well I been on fence about having a roo. I call this one Meanie...bossy little one..almost acts like herding the others. As long is only roo in bunch..its cool. Roos fight with each other right?

Is it your only roo? If so, you might quite enjoy it. I know I didn't want the roo that came with my initial batch of chickens. But that's because I was new to the whole thing. Turned out that rooster provided a really useful function: watching out for his hens, shepherding them in at night, disciplining the little monsters, finding them food. And as for me, I really came to love him. Funny old life.

I brooded two cockerals together and they never fought. We had to re-home one of them because he was too noisy and the one we kept seemed to miss his buddy for a week or so.

Yes this would be my first roo..I think he is my only so far. There are a total of 9 little ones. Have older hens outside. I secretly wanted a roo. My nervous spot is my little boy, almost 5. Starting June he will be gone 9-3 for camp into school year. I guess I will have to take cautionary measures..maybe pen roo at pool time and such. Will a roo attack me while gardening..lol..plan on doing a lot of that during my new free time :) Thank you for great responses..I guess I will know for sure soon enough. I might have some denial still..got 2 EE for the pretty eggs :)

Yes this would be my first roo..I think he is my only so far.  There are a total of 9 little ones.  Have older hens outside.  I secretly wanted a roo.  My nervous spot is my little boy, almost 5.  Starting June he will be gone 9-3 for camp into school year.  I guess I will have to take cautionary measures..maybe pen roo at pool time and such.  Will a roo attack me while gardening..lol..plan on doing a lot of that during my new free time :)  Thank you for great responses..I guess I will know for sure soon enough.  I might have some denial still..got 2 EE for the pretty eggs :)

Some do and some don't. My first rooster was a lap rooster, a real pet, and never ever attacked anyone. He passed and my next rooster is his evil twin. I carry a stick in the yard, not to hit him, but to intercept him when he comes running. But I've read several threads on how to train, relax and build trust with roosters and I think some of what I'm learning is making a difference.

Back
Top Bottom