My eggs finally hatched!

zbraswell92

Chirping
8 Years
Dec 6, 2011
Roswell, Ga
My first eggs to chicks experience! I was given 11 'thougt-to-be fertile' eggs 3 weeks ago. Today they hatched! :D
(I've only been given hatched chicks before.)

I have the 11 chicks in a 3gl clear Tupperware container. This should work for right now?
I herd some where that I should leave the white lights on them on 24/7 for the first week? Is this okay/good to do?
I've got DuMOR 20% chick feed in there now.(I know they won't eat until 36 hours after hatch but I leave it in there just in case. :rolleyes: and I have a small milk cap filled with vit/min water.)
I'm keepin' it at 95F in there now. I raised my 1st chicks this year at 90F, but they were already 1.5 weeks old. (I lowered it 7F/week.)

Sorry to brag, I just had to tell someone! Yahoooooooo!

OOH, congrats on your first hatch and a 100% hatch to boot! Double congrats!

Sounds like your brooding them just perfectly. They do need heat constantly. You could use a red bulb too if you like. As long as they're nice and warm, they'll be happy!

Sharon

Congrats! This is my first year with chicks. We ended up getting a red light because they liked pecking each other under the white lamp (I'm not sure why, but I read sometimes they peck more with white). If they're all getting along and staying warm then white is probably fine.

What kind are they?

Only God knows what breeds they really are, lol! :rolleyes: The man that gave me the eggs doesn't separate the breeds. Babies- 1 is yellow(prob a leg horn), 2 are completely back, 1 is dark red/brown, one is light brown, and 2 are black and yellow bloched. I just helped 3 more out of their shells. 2 of the new'uns are yellow and one is dark colored. They are so ugly they're cute when they first emerge all wet with clumped-up feathers.:)

celebrate.gif
Woo who! Congrats on the successful hatch! Hope you enjoy the babies and welcome to our flock!

Probably want to move them to something with a warm area and another that's not so warm so they can regulate their temperature. The first few days they like it warm and as they get a few days older they will want to move away from the heat at times. Good luck with the little ones.

Back
Top Bottom