My embden goose is acting strange!! Need Help

I love Goose

Hatching
Jun 30, 2021
Hi , I have a question if someone could help it would be really thankful of you!

I have 2 embden goose
One male and other female
The thing is that my female goose is acting little strange!
Since today's afternoon she is acting bit stranger!

I have made this big pool for them so they can swim around in it
The female was in the pool all day where the male one was roaming around

When I went to give them there lunch
The female one didn't rushed at me like it used to do nor did she make noises

Usually when ever my goose sees me
They honk at me and I have noticed that the female one isn't even honking Like she used to

Even after I caught her , she didn't made any noise's

And I have noticed she isn't flapping her wings too like before

So my question is, my female embden goose sick or ill?

She isn't honking like she used to
Nor I have seen her flapping her wings recently

I live at place where temperature could get to 40 ℃ (104 ℉) so its get pretty hot and warm in here

Is my embden goose ill or is it because of the weather that she is getting sick?

Sorry for my broken English :(

It isn't my first language

Thanks in advance

Please help

Last edited:
She is definitly ill, she may have heat stroke, which can be lethal, do they have shade where they can hide from the sun?

Her symptoms are very serious, birds will hide that they are sick until they’re so sick that they can’t hide it anymore, is it possible for you to get her seen b a vet?

She is definitly ill, she may have heat stroke, which can be lethal, do they have shade where they can hide from the sun?

Her symptoms are very serious, birds will hide that they are sick until they’re so sick that they can’t hide it anymore, is it possible for you to get her seen b a vet?
Yeah, I have a big place which can hide them from the sun, they even use it but the female goose didn't used it yesterday and was in the the pool all day(the pool is half in the shade , depending on the time of the day it will be in the sun or in the shade part)

Where I live there aren't any vets around here and I don't know what to do :(

Help

Yeah, I have a big place which can hide them from the sun, they even use it but the female goose didn't used it yesterday and was in the the pool all day(the pool is half in the shade , depending on the time of the day it will be in the sun or in the shade part)

Where I live there aren't any vets around here and I don't know what to do :(

Help
I’ll try to help but many times it can be really hard to figure out the cause without testing.
Some answers to these questions might help.

What feed are they being given?

What do her droppings look like and could you try to get a picture of a few?

Have you noticed any other symptoms? Voice changes, coughing, poor appetite prior to this, head shaking, limping, undigested feed in droppings, red, black, or bright green droppings?

You can try bringing her inside, keeping her cool and giving her electrolytes, b vitamin complex tablets, multivitamins dissolved in her water might perk her up, some fresh squeezed lemon juice might too.

I’ll try to help but many times it can be really hard to figure out the cause without testing.
Some answers to these questions might help.

What feed are they being given?

What do her droppings look like and could you try to get a picture of a few?

Have you noticed any other symptoms? Voice changes, coughing, poor appetite prior to this, head shaking, limping, undigested feed in droppings, red, black, or bright green droppings?

You can try bringing her inside, keeping her cool and giving her electrolytes, b vitamin complex tablets, multivitamins dissolved in her water might perk her up, some fresh squeezed lemon juice might too.
I just feed them wheat grains
My area is pretty open so they usually eat what what ever is on the ground like insects. I also give them breads and grass to eat . sometimes vegetables too.

I haven't noticed voice change in her, because she isn't honking that much but when she do make noises on some occasions its just like before.

Her feet looks kinda inwards like this /\ before it was straight ||

Her dropping sometimes are black or green , and its like in liquid form

:(

Last edited:
I just feed them wheat grains
My area is pretty open so they usually eat what what ever is on the ground like insects. I also give them breads and grass to eat . sometimes vegetables too.

I haven't noticed voice change in her, because she isn't honking that much but when she do make noises on some occasions its just like before.

Her feet looks kinda inwards like this /\ before it was straight ||

Her dropping sometimes are black or green , and its like in liquid form

:(
I’m so sorry!
There’s a strong possibility that they’re both nutrient deficient, her being worse off, or she’s been poisoned.
Geese do well on pasture, when they have more than enough grass to eat in summer months, during molting they require extra nutrients like protein, laying females require extra calcium from oystershell or a good layer feed.
Come winter or when there isn’t enough grass they need to be on a good feed formulated for waterfowl or a multiflock, all flock feed, or flock raiser feed.
Geese require extra B vitamins compared to chickens and need to have a 17% to 20% protein feed.

Goose droppings should look like little brown or green logs, usually with white on one end but not always, every few droppings they’ll have what’s called a cacal dropping which is a dark green or brown thick pudding like puddle.
Really watery droppings now and then aren’t unusual if they've been drinking a lot of water, but if they’re the majority of the droppings it can mean illness.
The white part “urates” should always be white, or off white/light cream colored, if they’re yellow or green it indicates kidney failure.

Black droppings can indicate lead poisoning, bleeding in the upper digestive tract possibly from an infection or parasites, or internal organ bleeding, neon green can indicate a liver problem, poisoning, or emaciation.
Here’s an example of what I mean by neon green, this came from a sick gander that didn’t eat for three days.
7734259B-270D-4430-8CBE-54DD5B8248B3.jpeg

Hi thanks for your time

My Gosse seems to be very healthy and strong

By the looks of it , it doesn't look nutrient deficient

They do drink lot of water due to the weather

Today the female embden goose is looking very healthy and active compared to yesterday

She was honking like usual and flapping her wings like before

Her feet looks straight too

Idk why
Maybe it was due to the weather that she got heat stroke (overheating)

Today I gave them a bath with cold water and gave them fresh lemon juices too

She looks fine now!
🧐

Idk what happened
But thanks for your previous time

Its really means a lot :)

So glad your goose is better! I did notice that you said you give them bread. That really isn't good for them. There is very little nutrition in bread. If they like it just use it as a treat... Mine love frozen peas!! They are good for them plus are high in nitrates for good bones and feathers...

Back
Top Bottom