My Embroidery Thread

nuthatched

Orneriness & Co.
Premium Feather Member
Nov 9, 2019
God's Country, Az
Hi there,
I'm embroidering a baby quilt for my friend Sarah's new baby (he's almost six months, I'm a very slow procrastinating embroiderer:he) and I just found out that my other friend Bekah is expecting, due this summer. :wee I'm hoping it's a girl so I can embroider butterflies, flowers and stuff like that. How selfish is that?! But nevertheless....
I'm about half way done with the quilt, I'm hoping to be finished by February, so I can start on the other quilt.
So now I have 2 quilts to do, each will be 4x5 squares, a square being ten inches, every other square will be a large outline shape ( paw print, acorn, leaf etc) quilted through.
I'm going log my progress (ha) here.

If anyone can give me some tips, I'd appreciate it very much!
My camera washes out the colors in low light, ( while miraculously accenting the cat hair!) the colors are bright baby yellow, aqua, dark teal and charcoal gray.
Here's a frog thst probably won't be used since he's not cutesy enough for a baby quilt, I think. Maybe I'll add a bowtie.
20201226_135643.jpg
Owls, finished square.
20201226_144521.jpg

Giraffe, needs a tree or something.
20201226_144510.jpg

Fawn, the most traditional in my squares so far, finished.
20201226_144458.jpg

Smug seal, second seals head shape will be redone to match the main one.
20201226_144442.jpg

Bear Cubs in french knot Berries, I accidentally used a prismacolor marker instead of a sharpie to out line, I'm really praying i can get it out.
20201226_144417.jpg

Tiny desert tortoise , finished but I may add another fruit to the cactus.
20201226_144409.jpg

Duckling, started out as a traditional cute yellow duckling, turned into a wild duckling. Finished. Adorable.
20201226_144400.jpg

Bobcat, can't get the eye right, will be in branches or on a boulder. Unfinished.
20201226_144348.jpg

Otter's water ballet, 6 o'clock otter needs it's nose, 9 o'clock otter needs redone and third otter to be added. Circling a pearl oyster.
20201226_144338.jpg

Sellers Jay, my artist half of the brain says " the angle of perception is wrong!" The lazy part of the brain says "but it's almost done! They'll never notice!"
20201226_144323.jpg

Platypus with unfinished baby platy.
20201226_151817.jpg

Last edited:
@nuthatched I enjoyed seeing your work. It has been year's since I last worked on my embroidery, and I still have it packed away along with a bunch of colors of the floss.

Thank you, I'm looking forward to finishing at this point. I'm getting better as I get closer to the end, so I'm going to go back and change a few things.
This hobby is a real pain in the neck, literally, but I'm really enjoying it. it like to try turkey work next .

Thank you, I'm looking forward to finishing at this point. I'm getting better as I get closer to the end, so I'm going to go back and change a few things.
This hobby is a real pain in the neck, literally, but I'm really enjoying it. it like to try turkey work next .

I wish you luck on getting it finished the way that you want it to be. How long have you been doing embroidery work?

I wish you luck on getting it finished the way that you want it to be. How long have you been doing embroidery work?
Only the length that I've been working on the quilt.:oops:
I've slowly developed an interest in it over the years.
My grandmother would give me little cross stitch samplers to do when I was little and we had a couple at church who were professional civil war reenactors, they'd sometimes take us with them to the reenactments. The wife would teach in historical skills that every woman would know 150 years ago, such as embroidery, lacemaking, drafting patterns and how to process a goose.
My sewing machine also hates my guts and will act up if I attempt to use it so I've gotten really good at hand sewing over the years.
Sorry for the rambling!

Back
Top Bottom