My Experiences with Quail

The girls turned 3 weeks over the weekend and as a treat I put a dust pan in with them. They loved it, it was fun to watch them as they discovered what it was for. After the first one dug in the rest came running. 18 quail trying to get into 5"x8" area, lol.

I have really enjoyed your quail experience so far. Boy, I like that feeder set up. I hope to start raising some coturnix soon myself, so this has been educational. Thanks for sharing!
smile.png

Quote:
Thanks, that is why I am doing this thread like I am. This forum is is full of great information from quail experts on how they are doing things, but short on information on how they got there. So I am trying to chronicle my journey as someone new to the hobbie.

Our quail are 8 weeks old now and laying eggs. My 8 yr old son and I resided to cull out the extra roos and have Sunday dinner for the family.

Here is a picture of the roos (marinating in a nice lemon herb bath) that didn't get picked to carry on their bloodline:

We now have 11 cots (8f & 3m) we will be collecting eggs for the next week and be setting our 1st batch of eggs from our quail. The 1st week of eggs I collected and we boiled them and they are now resting comfortably in a pickling brine in the frig. Should make a nice Thanksgiving treat.

Our cots are currently living in a colony cage, I still plan to built some roll out breeder cages. I want to get these started over Thanksgiving break.

Back
Top Bottom