my experimental eggs are hatching!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by roosters97, Aug 16, 2008.

1. roosters97

roosters97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    my OWN chickens eggs are hatching !! buff orp x amerucana sp!! calm me down!! whats the chances it will hatch

2. hatchcrazzzy

hatchcrazzzy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2007
    kemp texas
    a real good chance they will hatch your own eggs always hatch better than shipped eggs

3. mudderhen

mudderhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Clarkesville, GA
    YAY YOU!!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. roosters97

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    oh no! 2 hours and no more egg shell cracked [​IMG] is this normal (shes still peeping)

5. roosters97

Jan 23, 2008
    VA
    is this normal

6. chickens4jojo

chickens4jojo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 26, 2008
    Upstate South Carolina
    Congratulations! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. warsawffagurl

warsawffagurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2008
    Warsaw, IN
    yes its normal...
    it can take them 24 hours to hatch out of the shell

8. cajunlizz

cajunlizz Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2008
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Quote:This might be a stupid question , BUT what eggs are you referring to ?

Eggs your chickens laid ?

YOU DO NOT HAVE TO HAVE AN INCUBATOR IF YOU HAVE A GOOD BROODY HEN . I have a hen setting on eggs right now and they will hatch on the 25th. . TAKES 21 days

Last edited: Aug 16, 2008
  9. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Yes it can take awhile. I've been checking mine constantly for the past 24hrs watching the little tiny holes turn into large holes, then multiple cracks, and finally they started pushing the ends off but after 24hrs only half have even hatched. If they hear noise they seem to hatch faster. Every time I say something to mine I get another peck on the shell and I found when there's a chick in the incubator peeping and bumping into things the next one hatches out faster than when I immediately removed the first 2 chicks to the brooder.

10. Heather J

Heather J Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2008
    Liz, I wish I had a good broody hen, but I don't--they're all just running around having a good time, despite all of their eggs being fertile, and as my muscovy hen is broody for the first time ever, I didn't dare give her any of my expensive hatching eggs. No doubt using a broody would be much easier though. None of this watching the humidity in the incubator so closely (Even with most of the water trays full, my humidity levels look like most people's dry incubating levels), or obsessively trying to keep the temps within a degree of 100. Hopefully my silkies will hatch beautifully and I'll have all the broodies I could want next summer.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by