My favorite, need help asap please.

vintage

Songster
Feb 25, 2021
Ky
Went out to close up the coop and noticed my favorite was in the nesting box. Immediately I knew something was wrong. I brought her in, checked her crop and it's full of water. Poop is watery as well. When I brought her in she was walking, and jumping/flying up on things so she isn't lethargic. Ideas?

Has she been laying recently? I would put her back in the coop tonight, remove any food or water until you check her crop again in the morning to see if it has emptied. Smell her breath as you feel the crop for a bad or sour odor. Then feed and water everyone. What do her droppings look like? If you need to keep her inside tonight that would be fine, and then you could look at her droppings from the night.

I have hens who have been sick who take to the nest boxes. They also may hide there if they are being bullied. Is her tail position up or down? Does she have an enlarged lower belly between her legs? How old is she? Can you look her skin over for any lice or mites?

If her crop is full and puffy in the morning, here is a good article to read about crop problems.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Has she been laying recently? I would put her back in the coop tonight, remove any food or water until you check her crop again in the morning to see if it has emptied. Smell her breath as you feel the crop for a bad or sour odor. Then feed and water everyone. What do her droppings look like? If you need to keep her inside tonight that would be fine, and then you could look at her droppings from the night.

I have hens who have been sick who take to the nest boxes. They also may hide there if they are being bullied. Is her tail position up or down? Does she have an enlarged lower belly between her legs? How old is she? Can you look her skin over for any lice or mites?

If her crop is full and puffy in the morning, here is a good article to read about crop problems.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/
Laying has slowed down for all my hens, I haven't paid much attention because I know many breeds slow down in winter. I tried smelling her breath earlier and didn't smell anything. Her droppings look watery, like when they drink too much when it's hot. I will have to check her belly. She's 9 months. I regularly check them for mites/lice.

Back
Top Bottom