My favorite "pullet" is a roo. What should I do?

We had a rooster with two hens and he was fine a lovely boy but his crowing got to us and the neighbours plus he started chasing my daughter so he was REMOVED....., if you can put up with the crowing, and be aware that he may turn bad...... But again you never know he might not even be a rooster.... we got our chicks when they were a week old and Robert was more advanced than the other two so we had a feeling early on that he would be a rooster but we waited and when he crowed that was it..... - he had bigger feet, and his comb was alot more pronounced than his sister.

He was good with his two girls and protected them very well. - when the hormones kicked in they were all happy no problems.

m.kitchengirl :

Really? A rooster with 4 hens won't ... how should I put this ... rub them raw?
I had this exact question months ago, but everyone told me my rooster would do lots of damage to my 4 ladies if I keep him. I just don't have time to add on to the coop for 6 more girls for him until next season.
He is lovely to them so far (I have one who is NOT), and is my favorite. He is a gorgeous B.O. and tosses treats to his girls, sits with me everyday. I know HE has the ladies trained to come when I call, I do not. He is my little general, he marches up to the kitchen door & hops on the compost barrel to remind me it is time to tuck them in. Then he circles the coop before he goes in, and marches between the roosts for his nightly head count.
I really don't want to cull him. He doesn't even crow yet - at 22 weeks. He makes crow-esque sounds, but quietly, and only to me when he wants a treat.
I have a friend coming this week to cull the roos, but if some folks would tell me they HONESTLY think he will continue to be my little champ I would love to save him & start on meat birds next year.
I just posted a long, heartsick post about this in another topic.
If anyone has successfully kept a rooster with 4 hens I would LOVE to hear it. My S.O. may not be thrilled but has - finally - said the decision is all mine.

I have an 'accidental' roo who lives with four hens. He started out as "Harriet" (he is a Silky) and is now "Harry". He lives with a Polish, two Sebrights, and an EE and they get along fine. They have a 10' x 10' pen attached to their coop and it has a big square roosting area where the girls can "escape" Harry's amorous advances if they want to. None of them are bare-backed, even now when they are molting. I have another coop with a little bitty frizzle roo and he has more ladies and I thought about moving some over to Harry's pen, but really, everybody is doing fine and I don't want to 'rock the boat'.

Hope this helps.

deb g
KY​

Back
Top Bottom