my ferret

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Godsgrl, Jan 20, 2009.

1. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Today our front door blew open a bit, and it was a while before I noticed. The dog and I hunted for our ferret who free-ranges in the house during the day, but we couldn't find her.

I didn't worry, she can hide pretty well. The dog can't always find her. Well about an hour later, I hear something at the door, scratching. I open the door, and there is Swiper the ferret wanting back inside!

I scoop her up, and carry her to her cage. I think it's a good thing it was cold today, she didn't want to stay out long. What a miracle though, that she came back to the door, and nothing got her. In the future, lock the door, and always find the ferret! [​IMG]

2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Whoa - close one! Glad she came right back home!

3. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Thank you Wynette, we are very grateful.

4. Haviris

Haviris Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2007
    Wow, glad she came back! I left and came home to find my door open, and saw my ferret trucking it across the yard, I rushed out, but before I could get to her she'd slipped through the fence and I wouldn't be able to her w/out going around and by then she'd be long gone w/ as fast as she was going. There was one spot I desided to try and squeeze through (she's deaf so I can't call her), but as I was trying to fit she saw me and came running back to me.

Don't know if mine would have come back, I think she'd want to but, not sure she'd find her way. I bet it's a load off your mind that your girl will if it comes down to it.

5. sred98

sred98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Oklahoma
    OMG I am so relieved for you! [​IMG]

That is how we lost our first ferret, Flower Felicity Feather Fairy. [​IMG] She was running around in the house, and we saw a baby bird fall outside, so we ran out to check on it, and left the door open a crack. We ran back in and remembered her, we called and called, but nothing. I ran outside looking for her, and heard the neighbor's dogs barking. I couldn't see, and debated jumping the fence, but she has a crazy lab that kills animals and dogs for the fun of it, so I didn't want to tempt it. I tried calling her, but she didn't answer. She called me a few minutes later and said, "Something's dead." She didn't know what it was, but knew to call me. [​IMG] It was awful. Me and the kids, the dog and the two cats just cried and cried. My cat kept sneaking out laying on the grave for months. We finally got another one about 6 months later. She has been wonderful, but we still feel awful about Flower. We are all so worried something will happen to her. They are the sweetest things! [​IMG]

Again, so glad your story had a happy ending!!! [​IMG]

Shelly

6. CochinLover

CochinLover Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Oxnard,CA
    U r so lucky. Iwa my beautiful love did not. My dad had the tendency to leave door open and Iwa got out. I too did not suspect as she hid too and Mosely her friend was not concerned. Well i could not find her for a very long time. And of course i would not advertise to neighbors to look for her as i love in California, then one day i found her in road. [​IMG] So yes please make sure when carpet sharks are out, doors are locked.

7. oodymex

oodymex Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2008
    North Carolina
    my ferret Mr. Whiskers (past away last june) would like to roam around the house all the time. he would just wait for the front/back door to open up and he would just run for it! lol. it was the funniest thing u could ever see. he'd always head for the bushes or under da car, if i couldn't find him i'd round up my nieghboors kidss and have them search for him they'ed always find him.lolz.

8. Godsgrl

Godsgrl Ostrich wrangler

Aug 27, 2007
    at the zoo usually
    Thank you for the well wishes. I'm so sorry for those of you who lost ferrets when they escaped outside. We've had doors open, left windows open with no screens, and Swiper had never gone outside. I guess it only takes once.

We're thrilled to have Swiper back, even with the little brat she can be. LOL I have to say ferrets are a really unique pet-unlike anything I've owned before. If they are smart enough to come back and scratch at a door, what other mischief are they capable of getting into? I know the answer to that-plenty of thieving and redecorating. LOL

Carpet sharks-that's a good name for them. Thanks again, everyone, and [​IMG] to those that lost their babies. I can't imagine. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by