My "finished" chicken coop and run.

mkeys5000

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 17, 2013
Raleigh, NC
I am not sure that I will ever truly be finished but I am definitely done for a while now. My coop is based on plans purchased from http://www.thegardencoop.com/ and then tweaked in a few ways to suit my tastes.

Here we see our three hens and my livestock guard dog in-training Mosley. The footprint of the coop is about 5' x 10' and the raised henhouse is about 3'x 5'. This was a low spot in our yard so I brought in 3 cubic yards of dirt to raise it up.

The roof is a 5V galvanized metal roof from home depot which I coated in a couple layers of copper paint. The paint was purchased from Sculpt Nouveau. Because the paint is actual copper, and not just copper color, it will get a green patina over time. I used this paint in a few other areas like the door hardware.

Here you can also see the 1/2" x 1/2" black coated hardware cloth which I used to secure the run. I used old copper pennies and brass screws to attach the wire, giving it a 'buttoned' look. The best deal I could find for this type of hardware cloth was from Academy Fence.

The wood covering the exterior of the hen-house is 3/4 Brazilian Koa hardwood. It was purchased from lumber liquidators and was leftover from a flooring project in our home.

This (heavy) door opens and attaches to the roof of the coop to allow access to the inside for cleaning. The weight of the door and the swivel branch keeps the door shut tightly when closed.

The hen house has two windows, approximately 10" x 12". Inside of the henhouse I have attached 2x 5' perches.

I also built 2x dual-pane windows to add to the coop this winter, but for now they are not attached.

On the back side of the henhouse I added external nesting boxes for easy egg access. Currently it is painted with a few thick coats of white primer to protect the wood, in the future I plan to paint this another color, perhaps a rusty red.

Three nesting boxes, none have been used yet as my birds are only 3.5 months old. The trim around the door helps to keep light and wind out of the coop.

All of the wood was treated with non-toxic Lifetime Wood Treatment purchased from Amazon. I bought enough for 5 imperial gallons, and used about half of the mix.

The hens have been out in the coop for almost a month now, it has been great seeing them outside and in their element. We let them free-range the yard while we are outside. It took a couple of weeks but they are now in the habit of going into the henhouse at night and sleeping on the perches.

Thanks for looking!

Great job! I'm still trying to figure out where and how to put windows and doors on the front of my coop???

Last edited:
Great job! I'm still trying to figure out where and how to put windows and doors on the front of my coop???

Yea I had the same problem, I kinda 'went with the flow' until it made sense. The most logical size pane of glass that home depot sold was 10" x 12", so that determined the size of my window (plus a bit of width for the frame). Once I built those windows, I held them up to the side of the coop and marked where I wanted them to go, and just started cutting.

Last edited:
LOVE IT!!! I'm new to the site and we are planning on getting our chickens soon, I'm determined to build our coop to fit our needs and have it look as stylish as yours! We also have some left over flooring and what a GREAT use for it!!! Ours is a laminate wood though and don't know if it will hold up in the weather.

Great job.. Are you going to be in the Inside the Beltline Tour D'coop--chicken tour this yr??? It is alot of fun and I love seeing all the coops/yards..

Great job.. Are you going to be in the Inside the Beltline Tour D'coop--chicken tour this yr??? It is alot of fun and I love seeing all the coops/yards..
I *really* wanted to be on the tour, but things didn't get finished up in time this year. Also while my coop is looking good, the rest of my yard is not. Hopefully by time the tour comes around next year we will be good to go. We will definitely be going on the tour to see other coops though.

Love the wood!! Glad to see you used hardware cloth.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom