my first 4 chicks!

Tawodi

In the Brooder
9 Years
Oct 24, 2010
southern AZ
just got my first 4 chicks, Japanese phoenix. have them in their new coop, closed in with food, water and a small tub of fine dirt. Was told to keep them there for 4 or 5 days so they get to know thats their new home. They are already perching on the highest of 3 2x4s. Havent noticed any food being eaten, it is the same food that they had at their previous home. Set up a 6 foot tall chain link fence for them covering around 2300 sq ft of back yard. is there anything someone may suggest that i have missed?

also, the coop is built 1 foot off the ground. will there be an issue of snakes getting into the coop when it gets warmer?

thanks for all the informative posts that i have been reading up on, lot of knowledge on this site!

also got my bunnies!

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new little additions. How old are they all?
Is there an issue with snakes in your area? Are you in the country?
It all depends on where you are at but even in the suburbs you have to watch out for predators, snakes included.
It was smart to raise the coop up a foot. What kind of flooring did you use?

sorry, by chicks, i meant chickens, not a reference to age. they have been living outside at their old home for a couple months. I assume they are around 4-5 months or so, they are pretty decent size for bantams. no heat lamp, they never had one before. I am in desert, in the country. we have had quite a few rattlers, even one on my doorstep the day i moved in. trying to keep the weeds down, i know they follow the field mice.

the coop is a 4x8, figure that would keep me from having to do as much cutting since most everything comes in 4x8. half the floor is weatherproof wood siding, the other half is hardware cloth. the 2x4x4ft long perches are staggered over the wire so their fertilizer will go straight to ground under the coop. i was a little concerned about having just wire (was worried about the cold, but after reading countless snow stories, I am fairly confident they will do fine). I purchased some ceramic tile to lay on the wire to seal up the coop if i feel they need it.

my friend has told me she is moving in town, and will have to give up her flock, that is why i made such a big run. i am picking up her coop as well, so i will have ample room for all.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom