My First (and 2nd) adopt and egg hatch-a-long of the year

Pics

junior67

Free Ranging
Jan 29, 2021
MA
This is a bit early but I am so excited and need a place to count down and talk (obsess) about it. I am doing a test hatch for someone to check their fertility. She will be shipping me eggs next Tue or Wed so hopefully I will get them Thurs or Fri and set them the end of next week. Those will be Cochin eggs.

Then I ordered eggs from someone that will be shipped March 4th and I will be setting them March 7th (I will probably get them on the 5th but a friend is also ordering eggs and they will be shipped the same day but she probably wont' get hers till the 6th so we are setting them together. :) ) those breeds will be Salmon Faverolles, Lavender Ameraucana, Chocolate Emerald (the breeders own breed that is auto sexing at hatch and lay green eggs), and Lemon Owlbeard!!!! I am beyond excited for the Lemon Owlbeard!!!!!!!!!

So figured I would start up this hatch-a-long so I have somewhere to obsess until they come and also once I set them! :) I will post numbers etc. once I get the eggs O people can adopt and egg if they would like.

@MochaLatte

I have some of my own that I am going to set. They are mostly meat birds but they are laying well for meat birds. I currently have two roosters, a birchen full sized Cochin and a Red Ranger. My hens are a black Full sized Cochin, a Red Ranger, and a Columbian/Cornish X. The CC has only laid one egg so far. The Cochin and the Red Ranger are laying about 5 to 6 eggs a week. I think the Red Ranger roo is doing most of the breeding. The Cochin hen wants nothing to do with the Cochin roo. I am trying to get me some Ameracana eggs or some Cream Crested Legbars to set. The Cochin roo is due to be sent to freezer camp. He bullies the Cochin hen because she won't put out for him. He runs her off the water and feed. He's an incell. I had more variety but had some racoon attacks last summer and lost a lot before I found how they were snatching them and fixed the fence. I want some blue eggs again.

Counting down the days to set eggs with you!!! :jumpy:wee

The eggs I have incoming are almost identical - Lemon Owlbeard, Lavender Ameraucana, Chocolate Emerald and Black Copper Marans(her breed line lays such a gorgeous example of shell darkness I couldn't resist).
I must agree her BCM eggs are really pretty! If I could keep more chicks I would be tempted to get some just for the eggs!!!

hopefully have my first set of eggs by the end of the week. The person sending them told me today she was collecting them and mentioned sending them fedex instead of USPS but I didn't get any tracking so guessing not sent today. So hopefully tomorrow and thinking they would be here Fri. I was really hoping for Thurs as I am very impatient. LOL

Then the 2nd set of eggs should be shipped in 5.5 days. LOL I will most likely get those March 5th but not setting them until the 7th.

I'll be following! Just curious, what do Lemon Owlbeard chickens look like? I think I've heard the name before, but never seen one.

Back
Top Bottom