My First (and 2nd) adopt and egg hatch-a-long of the year

Pics
We've used muti-colored mini zipties for ours. you can make them loose enough that they don't fall off but will fine if left on for more than a week :)
I thought of that too.. but they are all together and I can't tell them apart. :( When the 2 were stuck this morning and I had to assist them I didn't want to put them in with the 12 active chicks when so weak and they had to finish hatching. So I quickly moved the Ameraucana over into the other incubator so the 2 weak ones could have the other incubator to themselves. I wasn't even thinking about mixing them up just thinking about keeping the other babies safe and it was before work so I didn't have a ton of time... Oh well. hopefully I will be able to tell them apart before I sell some. LMAO!

I went up and checked on the last egg again shortly after I posted that and there was no more movement. :( I am kicking myself for not doing a safety hole or checking sooner but I couldn't be sure it internally pipped and it wasn't chirping when I checked it. I opened it up and it was DIS. fully formed all veins absorbed and yolk sac absorbed. :(

I then opened the other 2 I thought had quit. the other owlbeard quit sometime in lockdown. I didn't fully open that one as it looked a bit smaller and still had the yolk sac. The SF had internally pipped and everything was absorbed but it never externally pipped. :(

So totals for this hatch (the Cochins were horrible, my flock was terrible. but the other shipped eggs were decent for shipped).....

3 from my flock

2 Cochins

5 Lemon Owlbeards (the other one is still hanging on but still weak. it is in the incubator still and I am trying nutridrench and some egg yolk)

6 Chocolate Emeralds

2 Lavender Ameraucana

5 Salmon Faverolles

total of 23 chicks. (way more DIS than I wanted or ever had before. :( )

I am hopefully setting duck eggs tomorrow. Wish me luck as I have NEVER hatched ducks so a bit intimidated. My daughter wanted ducklings I love them but don't want ducks and don't have room for them so someone I know from a FB group is giving me eggs to hatch out and wants all the babies that hatch back. so excited to give that a try. I may do a hatch-a-long for that.

I went up and checked on the last egg again shortly after I posted that and there was no more movement. :( I am kicking myself for not doing a safety hole or checking sooner but I couldn't be sure it internally pipped and it wasn't chirping when I checked it. I opened it up and it was DIS. fully formed all veins absorbed and yolk sac absorbed. :(

I then opened the other 2 I thought had quit. the other owlbeard quit sometime in lockdown. I didn't fully open that one as it looked a bit smaller and still had the yolk sac. The SF had internally pipped and everything was absorbed but it never externally pipped. :(

So totals for this hatch (the Cochins were horrible, my flock was terrible. but the other shipped eggs were decent for shipped).....

3 from my flock

2 Cochins

5 Lemon Owlbeards (the other one is still hanging on but still weak. it is in the incubator still and I am trying nutridrench and some egg yolk)

6 Chocolate Emeralds

2 Lavender Ameraucana

5 Salmon Faverolles

total of 23 chicks. (way more DIS than I wanted or ever had before. :( )

I am hopefully setting duck eggs tomorrow. Wish me luck as I have NEVER hatched ducks so a bit intimidated. My daughter wanted ducklings I love them but don't want ducks and don't have room for them so someone I know from a FB group is giving me eggs to hatch out and wants all the babies that hatch back. so excited to give that a try. I may do a hatch-a-long for that.
Congratulations on the chicks that hatched!
Im sorry about all the ones who didnt😕
I hope the Lemon Owlbeard makes it!

Ducks are dun but messy

Congratulations on the chicks that hatched!
Im sorry about all the ones who didnt😕
I hope the Lemon Owlbeard makes it!

Ducks are dun but messy
So far it is hanging in there and getting more active. I need to figure out what I am doing with it if I get the duck eggs. I don't think it is strong enough for the brooder yet.

Yes I have heard how messy they are!!! That is why I figured a few days to a week and off they go. Lol

Back
Top Bottom