My first attempt at a coop and run...

I've been lurking for a couple of weeks, soaking up information and getting ready for 8 RIR pullets in mid April. I'll preface this by sharing that I have never touched a live chicken in my life! Almost everything I know about chickens has come from this site, so thank you to everyone for your contributions.

I figured I would share some pictures of my coop and run building / modifying as my introduction.

My base is simply patio stones. I laid hardware cloth under the pieces that the run is installed on, hoping to deter diggers. I found a nice level spot with good exposure to the sun, and great shelter from wind.

View attachment 2592538I decided to buy a plastic shed to modify into a coop, party because the cost of lumber is outrageous in our area, partly because I'm better at modifying than building, and partly because I thought it would be faster.View attachment 2592543The shed went together in a couple of hours and seems sturdy and secure enough. I added some ventilation and a pop door before assembly since the pieces were easier to modify before assembly. Despite cutting numerous holes in the structure, I made a point of not breaching the envelope of the structure with fasteners whenever possible. The windows, vents and coop door are all "sandwiched" between the wall with trim and are sealed from outside with silicone, but are otherwise free floating.View attachment 2592544I pre fabbed the walls and roof of the run on our driveway and assembled them on the patio stone. At that point I wasn't sure how I would seal the run to the coop, I did a lot of figuring on the fly!View attachment 2592547The roof is clear polycarbonate called Sun Tuff around here, great stuff to work with and inexpensive. I did my best to cover every crevice with hardware cloth.View attachment 2592597I'm still not sure why, but I decided I wanted a lever to operate the pop door. I have an actuator and a photocell, so some day I may make an automatic door, but I figure it will stay open most of the time anyway, and I wanted to build a lever. 😁View attachment 2592603View attachment 2592622The interior is pretty simple. Everything is quickly removable without tools, and there are only a small handful of screws driven into the plastic walls. The nesting boxes were hung off of preexisting holes for pegboard, and the roost and poop trays are supported mainly off of the steel beams. The brackets under the trays are screwed into the fittings that hold the walls together, so that no screws had to go into the walls for them. I'm not sure why I was so fixated on not screwing anything to the walls, but it became a bit of a challenge, although one I eventually lost. 😁

I read about using coffee husks for bedding and was intrigued enough to call a local shop that roasts beans. They were happy to have me collect the husks, and as a bonus they come in the burlap bags the beans arrive in. It looks like I'll get two bags per week, which is plenty. We recently trimmed our ornamental grass and I've already put a couple of the burlap bags to work storing the grass for nesting boxes!
View attachment 2592608The doors came with plexiglass windows, but I set them aside and covered the openings with hardware cloth. I think the draft may be too much in winter, or during storms, so I used some of the leftover roof material and made quick release covers that will block direct wind, but still allow for some ventilation. The spring loaded hooks just push and twist to install or remove the panels.View attachment 2592627View attachment 2592633The run is, of course, a work in progress, EVERYTHING I've done is simply a theory at this point. 🙄 I have a box made for a dust bath that will be installed tomorrow.View attachment 2592640I was concerned about the door ventilation being covered in winter, so I decided to install the vent in the gable end today. I repurposed some plexiglass and made louvers to curb the wind.

Although I bought the shed, the 2x4's for the run, the patio stones, and the roofing, I scrounged pretty much everything else! I was fortunate to have a neighbour that gave me all of the pine boards I used for trim, windows, nesting boxes etc. The wood looked old enough to have been part of Noah's ark and was very dry, so it all got a coat of raw linseed oil today.View attachment 2592643Sorry for the long post! If anyone has any suggestions, or if I've missed something, please let me know. I have no idea what I'm doing, but I'm looking forward to learning!
WOW !!!!! Incredible job you did. I wish you lived by me and could help me, lol. I'm trying to build one, and my pullets come in 3 weeks so I better hurry

I keep forgetting to give my daughter in law credit for our coop signage!

I was scrounging around, looking for some plywood for something else, when I came across a large piece that she had used to practice on while painting signs for their wedding reception. I cut this piece out of the middle of her practice board, framed it and hung it in the coop. She was delighted. 😂View attachment 2670704

That's so cute!

Today was monitor roof installation day!
@3KillerBs monitor roof alert!

There's nothing like cutting a big hole in a perfectly good roof! 😁

I used to own a company that custom modified vehicles for the disabled. We always laughed about taking brand new vehicles right from the manufacturer and cutting them to pieces. 😂😂

You MUST make an article about installing a monitor in a plastic shed -- as well as a nice coop page for this beautiful shed-to-coop conversion.

It's great that your professional skills translated so well into this task.

img_20210515_150139-jpg.2671122

It looks so attractive that way too -- not just healthy for the chickens but a real upgrade to the plastic shed aesthetics.

Maybe some 'better' pics?
Tho monitors typically are open on the long sides, not just up under the eave.
Hopefully the morning sun helps, otherwise, I'm afraid my photography skills aren't up to snuff.

I guess you could call it my 'interpretation' of a monitor roof. I just saw the basic concept and built what I thought would work for me. Maybe it's a total fake. 😁
IMG_20210516_081831.jpg
IMG_20210516_081837.jpg

That's so cute!

You MUST make an article about installing a monitor in a plastic shed -- as well as a nice coop page for this beautiful shed-to-coop conversion.

It's great that your professional skills translated so well into this task.

img_20210515_150139-jpg.2671122

It looks so attractive that way too -- not just healthy for the chickens but a real upgrade to the plastic shed aesthetics.
Thanks, I'm glad you like it! I'll have to look into doing a coop page some day.

I'm not sure how much useful info I could come up with for an article on the roof. 🤔

Back
Top Bottom