My first babies are here!!! White cochins

Skink

Songster
5 Years
Apr 16, 2014
DFW Texas
I'M SO EXCITED!!! They're so sweet! I have a couple questions. Do white variety babies often have grey on their backs? One of them is significantly darker on the back than the others, and I'm wondering if they perhaps had to substitute, but nothing was marked on my invoice. I'm assuming they'd grow in plain ol' white feathers like any other fuzz, but just curious!

Also, one of them is making a fuss. She's moving around just fine, drinking, eating, no pasty butt... Everyone else is quiet, though, and she keeps waddling about among them making alarmed sounding cheeps and sounding generally alarmed. How much chirping should have me worried? They've only been here about an hour, so I feel like she just might be a little frightened, but these are my first chicks! I want to miss no early signs.

Anyway! Pics!

In the time it took me to type this (not long) the peeper settled down a bit. The other chicks moved off and they had more access to the feeder and waterer. Maybe they were just hungry/thirsty? They are the largest, but the push over! Go figure!

I am new here and will be getting my first chicks ever tomorrow - also cochins - so I thought I would say hi! ... and maybe learn from any advice anyone gives you. :) I am getting a buff, a splash, and a silver laced from my local feed store in the morning (assuming they aren't sold out of any of those colors by the time I get there - I am planning to wait outside for an hour before the store opens.)

I am new here and will be getting my first chicks ever tomorrow - also cochins - so I thought I would say hi! ... and maybe learn from any advice anyone gives you. :) I am getting a buff, a splash, and a silver laced from my local feed store in the morning (assuming they aren't sold out of any of those colors by the time I get there - I am planning to wait outside for an hour before the store opens.)

I'm jealous of your color choices, ha! I really want to get partridge cochins, and I've seen ones in the millie fleur pattern that I'd love to have though I can't remember if they're called that or jubilee like the orpingtons oops. Buffs are especially cute! I hope they have them there for you still!

I love the partridges and mille fleurs too! But they are not getting those colors at my feed store. I live in a residential area where I can only have 6 chickens and they have to be hens once over 6 months old, so I am really hoping I am lucky enough to pick out girls.
fl.gif
I am going back on Friday for 3 easter eggers, which have been pre-sexed. I considered having chicks shipped to me, but I just can't order that many, plus I wanted a variety of breeds and colors.

Picked up my 3 cochin chicks today. The buff seems rather calm and quiet, the splash is middle of the road, and the silver laced (on the right) is quite confident and (maybe overly) interested in food.

Back
Top Bottom