My first bantam chicks!!!

I think my blue Cochin might be black. He still carries blue though, right.

He looks black to me.
And no, he does not carry blue. He can produce blue offspring only if he's bred to a blue or splash hen.

Two copies of the blue gene makes a splash chicken.
Two copies of not-blue makes a black chicken.
One copy of the blue gene, and one copy of not-blue, makes a blue chicken.

(The blue gene changes all black on the chicken to blue or splash. So it's the same gene that changes a black-laced chicken to a blue-laced one, or a normal Wheaten chicken to a Blue Wheaten, and so on. In this case, you have an all-black chicken that would have been all-blue or all-splash if he had one or two copies of the blue gene.)

He looks black to me.
And no, he does not carry blue. He can produce blue offspring only if he's bred to a blue or splash hen.

Two copies of the blue gene makes a splash chicken.
Two copies of not-blue makes a black chicken.
One copy of the blue gene, and one copy of not-blue, makes a blue chicken.

(The blue gene changes all black on the chicken to blue or splash. So it's the same gene that changes a black-laced chicken to a blue-laced one, or a normal Wheaten chicken to a Blue Wheaten, and so on. In this case, you have an all-black chicken that would have been all-blue or all-splash if he had one or two copies of the blue gene.)
Thanks for the very detailed info! It’s very interesting. :)
I’ll try to get Sebright pictures tomorrow.

I’m thinking about attempting to breed silkied blue egg layers (silkies and a WTB) and polkies (polish and silkies) if one of my 3 silkies turns out to be a rooster. I’ll have to see though, because I’ll have to look into breeding pens to keep them in for 4ish weeks and all the time it would take in general. Seems fun though just as an experiment. I think my first hatch(es) that I might do next year might just be mixes and mutts to keep it simple (maybe a few bantam mixes and a few standard mixes).

Yeah. And I think my blue Cochin might be black. He still carries blue though, right. Here a few updated pictures.

They just moved into their new temporary coop. :)

Bluebell (blue or black Cochin bantam)
View attachment 2751330
View attachment 2751331

Popcorn (partridge silkie)
View attachment 2751327
View attachment 2751326
Splash silkie (needs a cute name)

View attachment 2751332

Cricket (my standard welsummer that is living with the bantams)
View attachment 2751325

And of course… Donald Goose! (Who just got a goose harness yesterday)
View attachment 2751324
They are all so big now! Especially Donald

I think my first hatch(es) that I might do next year might just be mixes and mutts to keep it simple (maybe a few bantam mixes and a few standard mixes).

If you cross the black Cochin to a splash, all chicks should be blue. If you cross the black to a blue, half the chicks should be blue and the other half black.

Mixes can be fun :)

Back
Top Bottom